Staff Spotlight
Helen Hao
Helen Hao
Managing Editor

Helen Hao is a junior in her third year with The Sage. This year she is serving as Managing Editor. When she’s not writing, you’ll find her walking her dog, in the dojo, or curled up with a book.

“Dark Matter”: Pearl Jam Releases Their Latest Single

Untitled Image by abdulov671 is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0 DEED.
Pearl Jam formed in the year 1990. From left to right, Mike McCready (guitar), Jeff Ament (bass), Matt Cameron (drums), Eddie Vedder (vocals and guitar), and Stone Gossard (guitar) pose as a band on stage.

World-renowned 90s grunge band Pearl Jam is still making headlines over 30 years later with their first new song in four years: “Dark Matter.” The band unveiled “Dark Matter” on Feb. 12, stunning fans with the new unexpected release. 

The comment section of the YouTube video for the song demonstrates the incredible amount of support the new track has garnered, with one fan by the username of @lennonleonardo7997 commenting, “It’s 90s vibes once again. Keep rocking guys!” 

Sophia Martin enjoys many grunge bands in addition to Pearl Jam such as Nirvana, Hole, and The Smashing Pumpkins. Aside from the grunge genre, her other music favorites include Tyler, the Creator, John Coltrane as well as a belarusian post-punk band named Молчат Дома (The Houses Are Silent). (Lexi Thurman)

User @terraformingcats8175 also commented, “So glad to see Pearl Jam back at it! This song really is something special. Thank you, guys!”

The announcement of their 12th studio album succeeded their new song. Also called “Dark Matter,” the record is set to release on April 19, 2024.

Junior Sophia Martin is a bassist and member of the Sage Creek chamber orchestra and the Young Lions Jazz Conservatory. “I think they utilize some interesting harmonies and vocals that really draw your attention to their music, especially in their older works,” said Martin of Pearl Jam as a whole. 

Cole Flanegan enjoys many grunge bands in addition to Pearl Jam such as Nirvana, the Foo Fighters, Soundgarden and The Smashing Pumpkins. Aside from the grunge genre, his other favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Ambrosia and Green Day. (Lexi Thurman)

Martin also commented on the new song in particular and how it didn’t stand out to her personally, but that it “felt a lot more coherent than their most recent releases.” 

“This single might be the start of another great era of music for them,” she said.

Senior Cole Flanegan is a trumpet player for the Sage Creek wind ensemble as well as the bassist for the Carlsbad-based rock band the Perfect Nose Club. Flanegan also had some unfavorable things to say about the new song. 

“It’s a bit too simple; the A, B, and C sections are all kind of similar and I didn’t see enough variation in the song to really enjoy it,” he said.

With any older band also comes fans who are dissatisfied with their newer songs due to the comparison of them to their earlier releases. Regardless, it will be exciting to see whether or not their new album will live up to fans’ expectations and be able to break that barrier between the 90s and now.