Staff Spotlight
Jake Householder
Jake Householder
Staff Reporter

Jake Householder is a returning Sophomore to The Sage. He is interested in photography, video games, and making scripts for a YouTube channel he keeps procrastinating on.

Carlsbad Rotary Clubs Hosts 41st Annual Oktoberfest

Photo By Helen Hao
Attendees could enter Oktoberfest at its main entrance. The festival was open from 12-8 p.m.

This past Saturday, Oct. 7, Carlsbad held its 41st annual Oktoberfest Fall Festival at the Carlsbad Strawberry Company.

People eat, drink, and mingle in the Beer Garden. There was live music from 4-8 p.m. by Hazelnuss. (Photo By Helen Hao)

Hundreds if not thousands attended the festival, wearing traditional German costumes and celebrating the start of fall.

Oktoberfest is run by Carlsbad’s Rotary Club and High Noon Rotary Club. Jeff Segall, president of the Carlsbad High Noon Rotary Club, went all out for Oktoberfest.

“We call it Oktoberfest, but it’s a festival introducing the change in the temperature and the chilliness at night now,” Segall said. “It’s a tradition around the world.”

The festival served traditional German foods like bratwurst sausage sandwiches, sauerkraut, strudel and pretzels. Tip Top Meats provided catering for the day.

“It’s about as authentic as you’re going to get with the food,” Segall said.

Besides food, Carlsbad Oktoberfest also offered live music by the band Hazelnuss, a multitude of games and activities, a Bier Garten for those over 21 and a German costume contest.

Segall, who was dressed in traditional German garb, explained his look.

“Lederhosen, literally translated from German, means leather pants,” Segall said. “These are authentic German lederhosen, and they’re made of leather cowhide. They’re very heavy. They’re uncomfortable. On a hot day of 80 degrees today, walking around in all leather was not the most exciting part of the evening. But now that it’s cooled down, they’re much, much nicer.”

Rotary Club member JoAnne Ross ran the raffle contest that night.

“This is the first year we’ve ever had a raffle,” Ross said. “We set up two booths and we had prizes donated, and we sold tickets, one for $20 three for $50.”

An Oktoberfest goer holds a slice of apple strudel. Many traditional German foods were available at the festival.
(Photo By Helen Hao)

The grand prize was a seven-night stay at any participating Grand Pacific Exchange Resort plus $1,000. Proceeds will go back to the community through the Rotary Clubs and multiple charities.

“The money that we raise allows both clubs to put back into the community in the form of public service programs and community service programs that help feed those with food insecurity,” Segall said of the Carlsbad Rotary Club and the Carlsbad High Noon Rotary Club. 

They also have programs that support Sage Creek and Carlsbad High, the AVID conference, the LEAD conference and RYLA, the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards. 

The Carlsbad Rotary Clubs are part of the larger Rotary International, which has 1.4 million members worldwide making events like this possible.

Gus Forester, who took part in Oktoberfest, summed up the event pretty well: “The general environment here was very pleasant; a nice afternoon with plenty of beer and good food.”