Staff Spotlight
Wesley Bodensteiner
Wesley Bodensteiner
Staff Reporter

Wesley Bodensteiner is a freshman at Sage Creek High School. He is a staff reporter for The Sage. He enjoys playing video games and sports in his free time.

A Holiday Showcase Comes to The Village

Walking around the market, people buy hats, clothes, home decor and more. The showcase had fun music and Santa in addition to bringing holiday cheer. Photo by Crystal Slabicki

On Dec. 2 at St. Michael’s Church, customers flocked to the village to see the 7th Annual Holiday Showcase, also known as the Carlsbad Village Makers Market. The showcase was an ongoing event from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with plenty of fun events, such as seeing Santa, and hearing live music.

The Carlsbad Village Makers Market is a place outside of the church to find handcrafted items. They hold many fun events like the Holiday Showcase and Toys for Tots.

The market was held right next to St. Michael’s church in the Village. There are plenty of restaurants in the village to check out after seeing the showcase, although there is some packaged food being sold to people walking around. Photo by Crystal Slabicki

The fair had plenty of fun stands to purchase nice clothes, hats, woodcrafts and more. Many people were there to walk their dogs and look around.

Santa Claus was in the showcase receiving Christmas wishes from many kids in the village. “I love working for the kids and it’s my favorite thing to do in the holidays,” he said. He gets paid $30 an hour, and he works at the holiday showcase every year.

Santa Claus surprisingly is a dentist in Oceanside. He used to work as a mall Santa in Minnesota before he moved to California. 

Patricia Keller, a volunteer for the market, has been taking part in the showcase since 2015 and is very proud of all of the people who helped bring goods to the market. “We don’t have open food, but we have pre-packaged food because we want people to try out all of the restaurants in the village,” Keller said. She said that even during the lockdown, the market has been going.

A market goer checks out a stand selling succulents. People were seen walking their dogs and looking around. Photo by Crystal Slabicki

Olivia Barnett, a resident in Carlsbad, loved walking into the showcase to look at all of the homemade crafts. Barnett says she likes the showcase so far, and that she’s stopped at almost every booth and bought all kinds of things.

“The fact that so much of it is handmade is unique and special,” Barnett said. “The showcase is the perfect way to start the holidays with Christmas music, Santa, and all of the handcrafted goods. I got some really good cookies from one of the booths.”

The Holiday Showcase in the village is confirmed to come in following years and is loved by tourists and locals. Artificers are looking forward to enjoying the holidays with all of the money they earned from selling their goods.