Staff Spotlight
Austin Jew
Austin Jew
Broadcast Editor-In-Chief

Austin Jew is currently a Junior renewing his role as Broadcast Editor-In-Chief for the 2023-2024 school year. Austin, in his free time, enjoys editing and playing games.

Club Meetings Begin After Another Successful Club Rush

Students+gather+around+at+lunch+to+explore+the+Clubs+offered+here+on+campus.+Lasting+for+a+week%2C+the+clubs+range+from+a+wide+variety+of+choices+to+choose+from.+
Photo By Darby Hunt
Students gather around at lunch to explore the Clubs offered here on campus. Lasting for a week, the clubs range from a wide variety of choices to choose from.

As of Friday, Oct. 20, Club Rush at Sage Creek High School has come to another successful closing as students advertised all sorts of clubs here on campus. These clubs serve as an opportunity to connect the Bobcat community with shared interests and passions. 

There’s a wide variety of clubs to choose from, and students signed up for as many clubs as they desire. Acts of service clubs include Red Cross Club, Key Club, Helping Hands, Just Serve Club, and hobby and shared-interest clubs include Mock Trial, Board Game Club, Dungeons and Dragons, Creative Writing Club, Speech and Debate, Photography as well as Origami Club. An example of community connection and support clubs are the Black Student Union and Honors Society.

Neha Desigar stands behind a table advertising her club. The different board games that will be played during lunch are displayed on the table along with the sign-up sheet. (Photo By Darby Hunt)

Clubs started meeting this week and will continue until the end of the school year in hopes of maintaining their attendees until their last meeting whenever that may be as each club differs. 

With a total of 76 clubs, it is hard to get the word out about an individual club to peers. Club Rush was the perfect opportunity to advertise a given club by rallying up support and getting as many signatures as they could, with a little bribery from a candy bowl. 

Katelyn Brus, a senior at Sage Creek and President of Photography Club thinks that club rush was very beneficial to her club.

“It helps get the word out there,” Katelyn Brus said.

Her club gained many more newcomers from this event, as the photography club is not only Katelyn’s Genius Project but serves as a chance to bring all the passionate photographers at Sage into one place. 

“I hope it can draw together all the photographers in our school community where people are supportive of each other, kind and happy,” says Brus.

Photography club is an example of a club whose influence is derived from an elective class here at school known as Photography 1. Unlike an actual class, this club offers the opportunity to capture the photos without the added stress and pressure of a grade.

Students were lined up to write their name on the roster for Creative Writing Club. A club that combines passions and interests, it unites all the creative writers out there into one place.

There are many other clubs based on passion, ones such as Board Game Club and Origami Club were created by senior Neha Desigar in hopes of sharing her interests on these topics with others by forming a friendly community at lunch.

“Clubs are a great way to make new friends and bond over a shared passion,” Desigar says. “It’s great to find people with shared interests with you that you wouldn’t have otherwise known.”

Acts of service clubs, which grant community service hours to its members like the Red Cross Club and community union clubs such as Black Student Union, all benefit the community around them. BSU brings together people of similar cultures to strengthen their bond as well as create friendships with others with similar identifications. The Red Cross Club helps serve the community outside of school by giving back to children and Veterans and helps the Carlsbad community prepare for natural disasters and occurrences. 

Harmony Lawler, senior and President of the Black Student Union and Secretary of the Red Cross Club, explains how it’s important to have a club that one can relate to on a personal level.

“BSU strengthens the black community and it’s great to have a club you can identify with, and that’s the whole point of clubs, identifying with a group that makes you feel comfortable,” Lawler states.

Clubs are a great addition for college applications and future job resumes and something to add on as an addition to help students stand out from the crowd. The week-after club rush has proven successful as clubs are in full swing. Leading a club is not easy, but it is worth it with all the support received and the community that forms and strengthens from weekly to monthly meetings. 

“Don’t be afraid of people not joining because as long as you have just a couple of people, it is worth it, and people are a lot more supportive about clubs than you would expect them to be,” Katelyn Brus says.