Staff Spotlight
Isaac Danon
Isaac Danon
Staff Reporter

Isaac is a junior at Sage Creek and he’s a staff reporter for The Sage. In his free time, he enjoys drawing anime characters and making Capcut videos for volunteer organizations. Also, he sells exclusive...

Sage Creek Students Determine the Most Popular Boba Drinks on Campus

Kung Fu Tea presents their top ten best selling boba drinks to boba tea lovers outside their cafe. Kung Fu Tea is one of the most popular boba tea shops around North County.
Photo By Isaac Danon

At Sage Creek, many students see boba tea as one of the tastiest refreshments around. 

For flavors, according to TastingTable, taro remains the most popular boba tea drink. It may sound weird to be drinking from bits of purple roots, but taro’s natural sweetness, striking tuber and appetizing purple color make it refreshing. Also brown sugar, avocado, thai, matcha and black boba tea stick out as well-liked beverages with their creamy milk, buttery and rich savors.

However, not all boba tea drinks are considered qualified to be sitting on the popularity table. According to TastingTable, coffee boba tea is definitely banned from the popular pyramid as its stark bitterness and combination of caffeine doesn’t sit well with boba at all. There are also other savorless flavors to avoid, including winter melon, black licorice, durian, egg pudding, truffles and especially oily bacon.  

Many boba tea cafes around Carlsbad sell a variety of flavors; some of them are really popular on campus. 

For instance, Ding Tea provides its customers with multiple different boba teas to choose from, including rare, original and admired ones at affordable prices. 

“Ding Tea, 10/10 because their service is quick and it tastes good,” said junior Anaïs Timm. 

Ding Tea is not the only boba tea that wears the crown of acceptance. Some students  drive over to Vista and Escondido for cheaper prices and better hospitality.

A customer decides which boba drink to try from Kung Fu Tea’s food truck in Valley Center. Many Boba tea shops sell through cafes or food trucks in different locations in North County other than Carlsbad. (Isaac Danon)

“I normally get my boba drinks from a small store called Boba Hut and Deli in Vista,” said junior Treshawn Cormier. “I really recommend it because the store owner is extremely nice and it’s quite cheap compared to other stores.”

Not all of the best-reviewed boba tea shops are in Carlsbad; some are also in North County or San Diego. 

“TNL Boba in Oceanside is great, they definitely get a 9,” said junior Cameron Davis. 

Ding Tea is not the only boba tea that wears the crown of acceptance. 

“I go to Ding Tea in Carlsbad or Tea Amo in San Marcos,” said junior Leila Felicity Young. “For Ding Tea I would rate it at 8/10. For Tea Amo I would rate it a 9/10.”

There are a few boba drinks that students see sitting at the top of their favorite drinks list. 

“My favorite of boba drinks is a strawberry mango slush with boba,” said Cromier. 

Strawberry and mango boba slushies are indeed attractive items in and outside of campus. 

According to Kung Fu Tea, their strawberry milk boba slush is one of their best selling drinks, as its whipping flavor and texture tastes like Nesquik strawberry milk. 

“It’s quite nice if you like fruity drinks or if it’s just hot outside,” said Cromier.

The strawberry drink is also commonly enjoyed with and without honey boba. For mango, according to Kung Fu Tea, their mango slush drink is so rich that it tastes more like a milkshake while it comes with popping boba. 

Besides fruit-flavored slushies being one of the most addictive boba tea drinks around, matcha also perches on top of the alluring ladder too. 

Matcha boba tea is sweet, rich and earthy according to plantbasedonabudget.com. It can be enjoyed warm or cold. It’s also much cheaper and healthier to make at home without having to drive a few miles. 

It has the perfect balance between sweet and bitter flavors,” said Timm of matcha. 

Matcha milk cap boba tea is a good treat to buy after playing sports. Matcha milk boba tea is one of Kung Fu Tea’s and North County’s best selling boba drinks. (Isaac Danon)

Matcha’s bright green color and its lovely vegetal fragrance make it so tasty. 

“I just love the matcha taste!” said Davis. 

Classic boba tea flavors such as black and milk tea can be used with any kind of boba as people can taste the sweetness.  

“My favorite boba drink is milk tea boba because it has a sugary flavor,” said junior Nina Orlando. 

For Thai tea, it’s one of the world’s most beloved beverages as its brisk-sweetness and its fascinating history keep tea lovers coming back according to thaiginiger.com.

“My favorite boba drink is Thai iced tea,” said Young. “It is a classic, and I just love the combination of sweetness and chewiness of the drink and boba pearls.” “It is also a pleasant treat to have when you are feeling in the mood for something sweet.” 

There are hundreds of boba teas in California cities such as San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles. But in most cases, the youth has trouble deciding which boba drinks to try in fear of regret or dissatisfaction with the taste. 

In reality, it’s good to try new things and expand horizons since people end up finding out what suits them best and what does not. 

“I would just tell them to choose something they like and then maybe expand as time goes on,” said Young. “I started off with Thai tea, and I expanded to mango smoothie and regular milk tea and I ended up liking it.”

Overall, Sage Creek’s popular boba drinks for 2023 are strawberry, mango, matcha and especially the classics: milk and Thai tea. As for boba tea shops, Ding Tea remains the top choice for students to shop at.