Consoles and PC: What To Buy Or To Move To

Aydin Erol

Video Games are the fastest-growing forms of entertainment in the media industry, coming in at $30.4 billion. In the video game market, there lays a divide between competitors in the form of video game consoles and personal computers (PCs). This divide spurs on developments and the ever-growing market for bigger and more powerful devices to run our favorite games. To the unwary consumer, however, these divides and plethora of products can confuse their wallets and their brains. This guide will try to help give your wallet and your brain a little more ease the next time you’re doing some shopping.

Consoles versus Personal Computers: What’s The Big Deal?

When it comes to the debate over a video game consoles like the PS4 and Xbox One against a personal computer, the debates usually reside over preference. Console gamers will argue ease of access and console-exclusive games, while PC gamers will argue about the stability of the platform and the customization of preference. This section will explore what is right for you in this current console and PC generation.

Consoles

Pros

+ Both the Xbox One and PS4 lines of consoles come in at a reasonably-priced range from around $200 for the base models to $400 for the more powerful PS4 and Xbox One X with built-in 4K resolution.

+ The PS4 is lining up with a ton of new exclusive titles that are being labeled as must-buys by both gamers and critics alike. Titles like “Monster Hunter: World” and “God of War” are shaping up to be some of the biggest games of this year and only on the PS4.

+ The “ease of access” consoles provide to their audience includes a host of tailor-made features and community hubs that are both easy to access and browse. Consoles provide a quick and enjoyable video game and social experience.

– Playing multiplayer on consoles and accessing other features such as Netflix and YouTube will either require a monthly subscription or a yearly payment, setting you back around $60.– Consoles do not have a large backlog of games that are backwards compatible with current generation consoles. While companies are releasing more and more in their special services dedicated to backwards compatibility, you’re going to have to rely on $60 releases for fresh new content. The option for indie games also arises, but as trends have shown, PC still holds a greater platform for indie or small developer titles.

Neutral

+- Many consoles lack cooperative couch play options, regulating them to online-only experiences. PC also has options for cooperative couch multiplayer, but its widespread use has not garnered much acclaim either. Only the Nintendo Wii U has cooperative party games, and with the Switch taking its place, no new party games will be coming out for awhile.

Cons

– Consoles are also split between competitors that have different exclusives, while the only thing stopping a PC player is the hardware being run on said computer.

PC

Pros

+ PC players have a large range of customization options and the ability to build the perfect setup according to their economic situations.

+ PC players don’t have to pay extra for online services, only your internet bill will do.

+ Digital provider services like Steam and Origin provide a massive backlog of games from all sorts of titles and genres. No need for backward compatibility; if you can run it you can play it

+ Depending on how powerful your PC, higher-end models — whether pre-built or custom-made — easily outclass any console in both functionality and performance.

+- The mouse and keyboard are universally the best way to play competitive first-person shooters, strategy games (actually, the only way) and third-person shooters. Fighting games will usually need a fightstick to be played to their full potential. As well with flight simulators on PC, you’re going to need buy extra accessories.

Neutral

+- The same digital providers — mostly Steam — have a problem with “Early Access” titles, and the many scams that have taken place can lead new consumers on for a head-spin.

Cons

–  “Pre-built” models are still extremely pricy only because of brand name companies such as Alienware. Always look for the best deals; not every PC needs a liquid cooling system.

– Though sites have sprung up to help consumers choose the right parts for their builds, going in dry will have the average consumer having trouble picking up parts from the plethora of options available from the start. Make sure to do your research!

Conclusion

The conversation between console and PC has been raging on for millennia. However, it all depends on the preferences of the consumer. If you’re looking for a more casual experience, consoles are the way to go, while people looking to get into the nitty gritty competitive scene or just enjoy a more powerful technical experience tend to favor PC. Hopefully, this guide provided some general viewpoints to get you started on either your move or your recommendation to a friend or parent in need.

• C

Christian RochaOct 30, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Switch and Pc master race are only good options

• X

Xu ZhangApr 29, 2019 at 7:53 pm

We all know that PCs are superior to consoles.
    It can do virtually everything that consoles can. And browse Chrome.
    With competition from various companies, the power of PC parts is growing faster than ever.

• C

Charlie LewisApr 20, 2018 at 12:35 pm

>even suggesting that consoles can compare to the PC master race
    the ONLY good thing consoles have going for them is the ease of local multiplayer, but since they have been moving away from that, there’s no point in pursuing the newer consoles. If you want to game, use a computer. If you want to have fun with your friends at a party, whip out a Nintendo console and you’ll be good

Andrew CovielloApr 19, 2018 at 2:12 pm

>fan cooled processor hard drive
    >2tb of ram
    >1080p display graphics
    >run games at 900 fps
    >you only lag clientside and that’s the server’s fault
    >abuseable hardware
    >polyfunction networking
    >able to pirate and use emulators
    >more connecty holes to put cables
    >glowing mouse, keyboard and headphones
    >anime mousepad UwU
    >thinking consoles can even touch pc

• N

Noe AvilaApr 19, 2018 at 8:55 am

PCmasterrace is superior. no console is able to achieve 60+ fps, 144hz refresh rate, all the rgb you can imagine, and true 4k. The best way to go for about the price of a console if you’re looking into getting a pc is with an entry level system:
    AMD ryzen 5 2400g- cpu
    MSI B350m gaming pro- mobo
    Patriot viper 8gb 2400 3000 memory- ram
    Hitachi – Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5″ 7200RPM- Internal Hard Drive
    Zotac – GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB – Video Card
    Cooler Master – MasterBox Lite 5 ATX Mid Tower Case- pc case
    Corsair – CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply- PSU

getting in to pc isn’t as dominating as you may think.

• D

David FosmanApr 19, 2018 at 1:29 pm

um well actually…