Shannon Alberts: “Teacher of the Year”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shannon Alberts: “Teacher of the Year”

English teacher Shannon Alberts, who has taught at Sage Creek for four years, is Sage Creek’s 2018 “Teacher of the Year.”

Bailey Daynes

Bailey Daynes

Bailey Daynes

Jake McAllister, Staff Writer

English teacher Shannon Alberts, who has taught at Sage Creek for four years, is Sage Creek’s 2018 “Teacher of the Year.” She was nominated by SCHS staff members.

A congratulatory email was sent to her Monday morning from Principal Cesar Morales. She smiled from ear to ear when she found out that she had been voted as the teacher of the year.

“I’m so honored to be recognized among my peers because I feel like I work with stellar, top-notch teachers. But, more than that, I recognize that I am a great teacher because of the students I teach,” Alberts said.

Junior Michael Croft, says he is grateful to have a teacher like Alberts, and he enjoys being  in her English class on a daily basis.

“She is a great teacher. She’s very approachable and friendly…you can tell that she genuinely cares about all of her students,” Croft said.   

English teacher Corrie Myers is the department chair of Sage Creek’s English department and is close friends with Alberts.

“It’s so awesome to see Mrs. Alberts being recognized and rewarded, she is a wonderful teacher and she is a great friend. I’m so happy for her,” Myers said.

Senior Jonah Varelli, who was in Albert’s English class as a freshman, was ecstatic when he found out that she was recognized by her peers.

“She is very deserving. I remember she had a very disruptive class freshman year, and it was very hard on her. Little did we know she was pregnant at the time, and she was dealing with our class while still teaching us. [That] was very impactful for me…it taught me to respect my teachers no matter what situation I’m in because they can always be in a bigger situation than me,” Varelli said.

Alberts is now Sage Creek’s representative for the district Teacher of the Year selection process, the same honor that was given to physics and engineering teacher James Fieberg last year.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Shannon Alberts: “Teacher of the Year””

1. sam bodnar on March 9th, 2018 9:29 am

CONGRATS, Mrs. Alberts!

Solid article Jake and an AMAZING photo, Bailey!! Just a few things to keep in mind content wise:

“English teacher Shannon Alberts, who has taught at Sage Creek for four years, is Sage Creek’s 2018 “Teacher of the Year.” She was nominated by SCHS staff members.”

—– Her means of nomination and time at SC are important and should definitely be included. However, your lead statement should be focused on the “news” here (i.e. her being named as the Teacher of the Year). You could have made this a bit more fluid if you worded it into something like this: “English teacher Shannon Alberts was named as the 2018 “Teacher of the Year on (insert day).”

Your last two paragraphs quote stack, which is something you should typically try to avoid.

“Alberts concluded.”
    —– Change to “Alberts said.”

Again, solid job of getting the word out and a HUGE congratulations to SC’s AP Lang queen 🙂

2. Steve Ellingson on March 13th, 2018 8:04 pm

Shannon is a queen!

The Sage Publication
Shannon Alberts: “Teacher of the Year”