Lil Peep’s Newest Track Released After His Death

Lil Peep x Marshmello ”Spotlight” track cover. The duo started working on the song before Lil Peeps untimely death.
Photo taken from respectmyregion.com
Lil Peep x Marshmello ”Spotlight” track cover. The duo started working on the song before Lil Peep’s untimely death.

Nearly two months after Lil Peeps’ death from fentanyl overdose, a collaborative track between EDM producer Marshmello and Peep was released in January, titled “Spotlight.” This is the first official track release from Peep since his death on Nov. 15, 2017.

“Spotlight” is a song that has a strong dance/hip-hop beat— regardless of it being made by an EDM producer. As a result of it being released after Peep’s death, the song can be described as “unfinished.” Marshmello said that they recorded the song, but could not put all their ideas together; he had to finish the song himself.

The chorus and pre-chorus are both repeated for the duration of the song. This is most likely because of the few verses Peep recorded. Although the song is a bit repetitive, it rings so well together due to the production and Peep’s unique voice. In fact, even with the verses being repetitive, it seems like the song could go on forever and never get old because of its production. When you listen to the lyrics they inspire a varied array of emotions, with most of the lyrics focusing on a girl where she places him in the “Spotlight.” This is a very different song Peep has been on compared to his other songs, since the production is one of the most electronic songs he’s had. The guitar chords in the background are heard behind the booming bass giving more power to Peep’s voice. In result of the repetitive lyrics, you won’t be getting tons of material in this song, making it more of a banger thanks to Marshmello.

With a mix of the amazing production by Marshmello and the gloomy individual voice of Peep, this new single is a huge success to his name. If you are a fan of Peep, this track will definitely give the spotlight back to him, which is 100 percent deserved. Peep’s producer, Smokeasac, recently stated that “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt. 2” will be coming out, so look forward to that if you’d like to listen to more of his material. This track is available on all streaming services, including SoundCloud.