Fall Sports Recap

Bailey Daynes
Girls field hockey team huddles up before a game.

The fall sports season wrapped up with two teams attaining CIF titles: boys and girls cross country. The four other sports, girls tennis, field hockey, girls golf, and girls volleyball, all had their respective seasons, too.

The girls varsity field hockey team had a losing season, finishing with winning three games and scoring a total of three goals the whole season. The team had an outstanding statistic of 128 saves, higher than the country average. Their leading scorer, senior Chloe McGovern, lead the team with two goals.

“Our season wasn’t too hot, we lost our first game in CIF,” McGovern said. The senior captain gave a glimpse into what next years’ team will be like without this years’ seniors. “The five seniors that are leaving had a different coach for the first three years, but now we have Coach Jamal (Brewer), so I think they will fair better than we did,” McGovern said. The team finished its season with a record of 3-17 and were eliminated from CIF in the first game. McGovern hopes the team can do better next year even with the loss of all the seniors.

The girls volleyball team had a losing season this year. The team went 7-13 this year with a crushing 0-9 record in league. This years season didn’t go as expected but there is improvement to be made. The girls volleyball junior co-captain Maddie Devilbiss was explaining that “there were some difficulties with coaches and players but we got through it. We did not do good in CIF after we lost in the second round.”

The boys cross country team did astoundingly well just as they did last year. They finished first in CIF and came up short in State, finishing second in the fourth division. The team is losing multiple top runners including co-captains Brad Nelson, Chris Suzuki, and Christian Mitchell. Junior co-captain Danny Rubin isn’t worried as he thinks next yearswill be just as good and maybe even better.

“I hope to beat my personal record in the 3200 [meter] (2 miles) and keep the team together,” said Rubin.

The girls cross country team faired just as well as the boys, and if not better). They finished first in CIF and also got second at the state meet.

“We did better than expected, far beyond what our goals were,” co-captain Brooklyn Deal said. The girls team is strong in that most— if not all— of the team are juniors and below so they have said they are on a good path and should be great next year.

The girls tennis team did well this year, attaining an 8-11 overall record with a 2-8 record in league. The team collected a win against our school rival Carlsbad High.

“We didn’t have the best season ever, but we won two games in CIF but lost to the team that ended up winning CIF,” said senior Ann Fulton, team captain.

The girls golf team finished with two wins in CIF, achieving the same goal as last year, but coming up short in the championship run.

“We did better than last year, coming really close to winning but having a fun year.” Senior Captain Olivia Michaels said.

The team is mostly made up of seniors so she hope that the team will get through the troubles of losing most of the team.

Every interviewee mentioned that their main takeaways from this year season were having a great team and having fun. The student athletes of Sage Creek finished their seasons with sportsmanship and pride.