The Debut of the Grill and Chill

Photography by Christopher Kathman
Fellow Bobcats participate in an intense ping pong match.
Photo by Christopher Kathman
Coach Kung serves fresh burgers to Sage Creek students.

Sage Creek held its first after-school social event of the year from 3:00 to 5:30 on Friday, September 22.  Grill and Chill made its debut, taking the place of the back-to-school dance, since ASB decided to go a new route and start a new annual social event.

Students chilled together while enjoying fresh-off-the-grill food (hence the name Grill and Chill). The event featured a bouncy obstacle course, bean bag toss, Rita’s Italian Ice, Red Oven Pizza, ping-pong, and of course, karaoke. Students that attended were able to enjoy freshly baked pizza, hot dogs, refreshing beverages and sweet-tasting Italian ice. Students also were able to display their singing abilities with the karaoke machine available to those brave enough.

With the Class of 2017 gone, ASB has a lot of new faces, which means new ideas. Journalism staff reporter Madison Young caught up with Sage Creek ASB President Duncan Kelley before the clean up of Grill and Chill.

“[The Grill and Chill] took about a month and a half to plan out and set up … I was very pleased with all the Bobcats that came out, I couldn’t be happier,” Kelley said, after being asked about the turnout at Grill and Chill.    

After leaving Grill and Chill, senior Brandon Styve was asked about the event in general.

“The the food was really good, the atmosphere was super friendly and full of energy … my favorite part was the karaoke,” Styve said.

Sophomore Ethan Hope was also interviewed about his thoughts on the event.

“It was well put together and the free food was amazing,” Hope said.

Photo by Christopher Kathman
Students in the academic mall enjoy italian ice and pizza.

Overall, students considered the Grill and Chill a major success. With all the different activities, music and the turnout, there wasn’t a dull moment. The Grill and Chill was Sage Creek’s first event of the year and it provided many smiles and new memories for many people who attended it.