Sage Creek High School

Senior Awards Night Recap

Jake McAllister

More stories from Jake McAllister

Principal Cesar Morales greets the festive crowd on senior awards night.

Gabby Larsen

Gabby Larsen

Sage Creek held its first annual Senior Awards Night in the Bobcat Arena on Wednesday, May 24. Math teacher Domenic Manente hosted the event, while counselors Roger Brown and Cynthia Frushone helped announce the seniors that were honored for their hard work and dedication over the last four years.

Gabby Larsen
Seniors and members of Bobcat nation gather to celebrate the class of 2017.

After the introductions to some of Sage Creek’s outstanding teachers and faculty members, the night was kicked off with scholarship presentations that were granted by the Carlsbad Educational Foundation, Jonathan Tarr Foundation, Carlsbad Rotary, Coastal Community Foundation, North County African American Women’s Association, Optimist Club of Carlsbad, and the Soroptimist International Oceanside Carlsbad.

Senior Standout Recognitions:

CTE: David Meinen, Julie Le

English: Taylor Mosley, David Rudolph

English Language Learner: Jill Chang

Journalism: Jack Lieberman

Mathematics: Ryan Nemiroff

Science: Anna Perhach, Ryan Nemiroff

Social Science: Alex Sonck, Rhiannon Mann

Student Support Services: Dakota Kerekffy

World Language ASL: Ashton Arrington

World Language Spanish: Sofia Trevino

VAPA: Leanne Mclntee

Athletics: Beau Prince, Heather Feldman

National Merit Hispanic Recognition:

Ryan Torres

National Merit Commended Scholars:

Brianna Bunchman

Zachary Iden

Cameron Joe

Meredith McCallum

James Melkonian

Sean Park

Bryant Phan

Ryan Torres

Senior David Rudolph was honored for his efforts and successes in the classroom. He was recognized by the English department for outstanding academic performance over the past four years.

“I was so humbled to receive the English Award because I know there are many other students here at Sage Creek equally deserving,” Rudolph said.

Following a five minute stretch-break suggested by Manente, the Sage Creek Counselors announced their senior recognitions. There were so many worthy seniors for recognition that they were separated into three groups according to counselor. Mr. Brown announced over 52 names of senior awardees in group one who received a certificate and a handshake from Mr. Morales. Group two was presented by Ms. Frushone who read off over 60 deserving students, and Mr. Brown filled in for Mrs. Payne and announced the remaining 50 seniors. All 162 students recognized received either a Seal of Biliteracy, were recognized for their participation in National Honors Society and/or were on the Honor Roll.

The most prestigious award of the night, the Bobcat Spirit Award, went to Heather Feldmann. The Bobcat Spirit Award is given to a student who best embodies the Sage Creek motto of “Be Your B.E.S.T.” and exemplifies ownership, leadership, and integrity both on and off campus. Feldmann demonstrated tremendous amounts of leadership on the soccer field, ownership in the classroom, and integrity in the community.

“I think it was really very well organized and very indicative of how many stellar students we have here on campus,” Feldmann said after receiving her award.                           

The night recognized the seniors and their achievements, but it celebrated a lot more than that. It celebrated Sage Creek’s first ever graduating class and all the people who made that class special, the people who dedicated themselves in their high school career and put Sage on the map for academics and athletics.

“I thought it was set up very beautifully and the decorations were sophisticated…” senior  Angelina Rocca said after receiving the Seal of Biliteracy for four years of ASL.  “It’s amazing to think about how fast these four years have gone, it seems like just yesterday I walked through the gates for the first time.”