Taking Down the Timberwolves

Jake Fitzgerald

More stories from Jake Fitzgerald

As the boys varsity volleyball team went on a four game winning streak, they looked to extend the margin against Mission Vista last night. However, with some familiar faces resting on the sideline, some of the role players for the Bobcats had to step up in this game against the Timberwolves.

The first set began with a beautiful back set by sophomore setter Garrett Edwards, to fellow sophomore opposite, Evan Marks. The Bobcats had great passing throughout the first set in part by junior libero Bret Alvarez. Ethan Mickelson then went up for a “one set” and smashed the ball into the right corner. SC then continued to make solid plays overall to win the set 25-11.

The Bobcats began the second set by making many errors, which brought the Timberwolves to a tie at the 11-11 mark. However, with great sets and passes by the Bobcats, junior outside hitter Ethan Shoemaker and senior Will May sparked the offense by rallying them to a commanding lead. Then, backed by great serving and a magnificent block by senior opposite Bryant Phan, the Cats took the second set 25-21.

Set three started with Edwards getting into a serving groove racking up most of his 24 serving attempts. Edwards then began to set his middles, sophomore Jon Ulrich and Braden Brasher , for some kills while also mixing in Shoemaker. Later, Edwards racked up a couple aces to put the Cats in the driver’s seat to win the game 25-9 for their fifth straight win.