Sage Creek High School

Bobcats Swing Among the Bigs

Xavier Allison

More stories from Xavier Allison

This past Wednesday on April 26, the Bobcats varsity baseball team was fortunate enough to play one of their league games at Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres. The outcome of the game, a little less fortunate.

The Bobcats suffered a heartbreaking 1-0 loss in extra innings to the Canyon Crest Academy (CCA) Ravens. On the hill for the Bobcats was senior pitcher Harrison Humberstone. Humberstone tossed an absolute gem, pitching seven shutout innings on 88 pitches; he only gave up three hits. Unfortunately, his stellar performance was not enough.

Bobcat batters swing away during their league game at Petco Park.

At the plate, the Bobcats racked up seven hits, but were unable to turn any of those into runs. The biggest missed opportunity came in the fifth inning. With runners on second and third and nobody out, Canyon Crest was able to get three straight outs and got out of the jam without a runner crossing the plate.

# 17 Drake Benner makes contact in an attempt to drive in runs for the Bobcats.

In the eighth inning there was finally some action. With a walk, a balk, an intentional walk, one strikeout, and an error, CCA had bases loaded and a chance for a walk off. Then, the first pitch of the next at bat, catcher Garrett Taylor back-picked the runner at third getting him in a pickle. After a wild throw from third baseman, Patrick Huston, the runner scored and the game was over. Just like that. Even filled with disappointment, the boys left the field with their heads held high.

Although the outcome of the game was not ideal, both teams got to enjoy an amazing experience. The next game of this series is at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday April 29, at Sage Creek.