CIF Playoffs Update: SC Boys Varsity Basketball

Sam Bodnar

More stories from Sam Bodnar

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bobbie looking into the crowd filled with students rooting for the basketball team.

Taelor Holdcraft

Taelor Holdcraft

Taelor Holdcraft

Within the last week of play, the varsity squad has been thriving in the CIF playoffs. The Bobcats took down the Christian High Patriots 54-40 on February 22 and this past Saturday, they defeated the Granite Hills Eagles 72-60.

Between these two games, the Bobcats shot 50.5 percent from the floor while collectively hitting 70.5 percent of their free throws. Their 72 points was the second highest team total all season long and will hopefully propel them into another win against Montgomery High School tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Montgomery has also dominated opponents in their first two games of CIF playoffs. The Aztecs soared above Rancho Buena Vista with a 73-64 overtime victory on February 22, and then took down the Carlsbad Lancers 56-52 on Feb 25.

As evident from the table below, MHS has not released statistics for their road victory against the Lancers, so delivering a complete team comparison (between SC and MHS) is more difficult here. However, during their home win against RBV, the Aztecs shot only 36 percent from the floor and sunk 85 percent of their foul shots.

Going into tomorrow’s game, here are four key players who have been leading the way for both teams during the CIF playoffs:

Sage Creek Bobcats (Average of Two Games) Montgomery Aztecs (One Game’s Stats)
Xavier Allison:  Senior & Starting Point Guard

• 14.5 ppg
  • 55.5 percent shooting
  • 10 assists
  • 8.5 rebounds
Zetiam Burton: Sophomore & Starting Guard

• 24 points
  • 50 percent shooting
  • one assist
  • seven rebounds
Bryce Buscher: Senior & forward

• 8.5 ppg
  • 60 percent shooting
  • one assist
  • 3.5 rebounds
Kyle Paranada: Sophomore & Starting Guard

• 18 points
  • 17 percent shooting
  • one assist
  • four rebounds
Jailen Nelson: Freshman & Shooting Guard

• Nine ppg
  • 43.5 percent shooting
  • two assists
Timothy Crawford: Junior & Starting Guard/Forward

• 17 points
  • 38 percent shooting
  • seven assists
  • four rebounds
Nick Sonck: Sophomore & Forward

• Eight ppg
  • 71.5 percent shooting
  • 0.5 assists
  • one rebound
Sebastian Morgan: Sophomore & Guard

• Eight points
  • 60 percent shooting
  • eight rebounds

The winner of this game will go on to compete against the winner of Point Loma v. Mount Miguel on March 4 at 11 a.m.