Bye Bye Birdie Spreads Its Wings

Bailey Moncrief

More stories from Bailey Moncrief

Before the first graduating class prepares to leave the nest, they take the stage alongside fellow performers in their last winter musical production: Bye Bye Birdie. The show opens its curtains tonight at 7 p.m. at the Carlsbad Community Cultural Arts Center.

The play follows the story of ´60s rock and roll icon Conrad Birdie, portrayed by senior Gus Escobosa, as he makes his last hurrah before being drafted into the military. As a goodbye statement and final publicity stunt, Birdie travels to Sweet Apple, Ohio to select one lucky girl, Kim MacAfee (played by senior Miranda Colvin), to symbolically kiss goodbye on the Ed Sullivan Show. But things go awry during that big moment on the set of Ed Sullivan, and drama ensues.

Showtimes are tonight at 7 p.m., February 24 at 7 p.m., and February 25 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 dollars at the door.

“Bye Bye Birdie is the classic all-American musical,” senior Assistant Director Elena Trask said, “Love. Betrayal. Laughs. There’s something for every age group and fun to be had for all!”

Watch the Bye Bye Birdie promo here.