Irony and Sportsmanship Collide

Carlsbad+High+Schools+student+section+flashes+KKK+during+rivalry+game+at+Sage+Creek.+
Photo Courtesy of Madeline DeVilbiss
Carlsbad High School’s student section flashes “KKK” during rivalry game at Sage Creek.

Rivalries evoke deep-seeded emotions and while some remain cool and collected, others forget what it means to keep their class. It is no secret that Carlsbad and Sage Creek have a passionate cross-town rivalry going. Each school has been at each other’s throats on road and home games, chanting, heckling, cheering, and channeling school spirit. However, there comes a time when we need to draw a line to retain our composure and maintain a professional, sportsmanlike atmosphere.

In the Bobcat arena last night, the Lancers came cloaked in their purple and black and cheered their heads off throughout the entire night. Students from Sage also arrived with vibrant attitudes and dressed in all white for their whiteout theme. Both sides went back and forth with their own unique chants, yet one cheer from the CHS section would soon prove to have ironic twists.

During the third quarter CHS began to cheer, “Keep it classy” at the Bobcats after the SC student section booed a close call by the referee. Two minutes later, the fun loving heckling was swallowed by irony. In a matter of a couple minutes, three students congregated together with individual signs, each with a capital K. Instead of the game being about a sister school rivalry, it transformed into something much more disheartening.

While I’ve only had 18 years on this earth, I feel educated enough to assert that displaying “KKK” in an academic and sports environment is unprofessional and most definitely unsportsmanlike- especially considering what the Ku Klux Klan is and what they stand for. It’s also disheartening that the Bobcat community was repping the theme of all white (the school’s home color) while this happened.

There is a reason why arenas like the Staples Center eject rowdy fans who fight, spew vulgar language, and overstep their boundaries. It’s because people who attend a game go to enjoy the sport, to represent their team, to engage in a rivalry, and to have a ball. I would have loved to enjoy the entire game and joke with friends afterwards, but instead I was comforting those who were infuriated, offended, and completely disheartened by having “KKK” flashed in their faces. Not to mention that these individuals gathered these Ks together from different locations within their section and sat down to create this.

Now I know that this is not what CHS stands for. I feel secure in my sentiments that they are not a racist high school and that the students who held the Ks are not trying to insight racist actions or reflect inappropriate ideals. CHS students were also quick to point out that a couple of Sage Creek students displayed a sign exclaiming, “Can’t shoot for shit!”

On behalf of my own school, I apologize for the expletive that was displayed. Yet, there is a fundamental difference between a sign that heckles an opposing team with a curse word and three students who gather together to hold up “KKK” in the faces of students dressed in white.

Both schools could have handled this situation better. Sage Creek could have ensured that the fans all had clean signs without curse words, and Carlsbad could have been more careful with the distribution of their Ks. As evident on social media following the game, students from the two schools exchanged apologies and are trying to move past this. It is my hope that the specific students involved publicly apologize for their mistakes and that both schools can move forward with a respectful and loving mindset.

We want to be able to have a healthy competition and a friendly rivalry; to exchange pleasantries, not blow for blow; to only feel disappointed about the outcome of the game and not incidents within it. Yesterday was a catastrophe that needs to be put behind all of us and be remembered as a learning experience (not something to be vengeful for).

As a high school student and someone who has made several mistakes before, I can forgive all of this. Everyone involved has something to learn and once we all come to terms with what transpired, we can move on and continue a healthy rivalry. I’m not furious with the involved CHS students or community, but I will say that I am disappointed.

Those simple three letters stand for individuals who burned crosses and organized rallies to denounce immigrants, people of multiple religious affiliations, blacks and organized labor. Those simple three letters stand for bombers of black churches and schools. Those simple three letters represent the death of 10 percent of black legislators between 1867 and 1868.

Forming “KKK” may have been a very ironic mistake, but it certainly was not funny. This is the type of action that opens doors for future conflict and it is something I do not plan to engage in, nor do I wish our future students to engage in. The forthcoming matchups between our two schools cannot turn into something like what transpired last night. Future generations and classes in the city of Carlsbad should not have to fear anything other than losing when they arrive on a campus for a game.

Irony and sportsmanship did not need to collide. Everything about that basketball game (despite Sage trailing at the half) was incredible to be a part of until the display of those signs. However, the revolving irony surrounding CHS’ chant about “keeping classy” wasn’t all negative. No, for Sage Creek High School, one aspect of that entire ordeal was ironic in its favor.

Early in the game, Carlsbad had a chant where they heckled Sage for not having any track record for graduating classes. CHS has had an additional 60 years for classes of seniors to establish respect as a community and 60 years to set the tone for how a professional and respectable high school should be. I just find it ironic that for all those brilliant and successful classes they’ve had, CHS showed none.

• G

Gary WinthorpeMar 21, 2017 at 10:55 am

As a grandfather of my step-grandson, I love him. I do not want to see him crying himself to sleep nightly because of the KKK incident. He is disheartened by it.

• J

Jacob McKibbenFeb 23, 2017 at 10:22 am

Great job uncle Sam

• D

Darius RahmanianFeb 22, 2017 at 11:00 am

It seems to me that this rivalry has been brewing for an extremely long time. Trying to be honest here, when I was a Freshman we could care less about CHS and the only thing we thought was that ¨Oh, they are just our rivals, big whoop”. But as more and more stories kept funneling through with CHS being sore losers and mud slinging. What did I see Sage do, keep on going and barely respond. This constant brewing of a supposed one sided rivalry kept on brewing on both sides. Now when Sage has been ¨attacked” by CHS, it finally exploded. Oh boy did it explode, now both schools are at each others neck after a “cold war” of sorts over the past 4 years. Now as a Junior things are heating up. How can we as students dispel it? Show them that Sage, the underdog, weird school can stand its ground. It may be a bit pugnacious, but sometimes we gotta stand for what we fight for.

• L

Lizette FranksFeb 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Excellent article. This unfortunate and absurd incident can be a platform to show our kids the meaning of empathy and being sensitive to what happens or happened to other people. That conversation should start within the family.

• N

Nicolas ReynosoFeb 21, 2017 at 10:54 am

This was an all-around great article, Sam. You’re a credit to The Sage : )

• S

Samantha SimmonsFeb 21, 2017 at 10:24 am

Glad we can agree on the importance of unity during this time of over-amplified student rivalry! Great piece.

• J

Jeff albertFeb 19, 2017 at 10:22 pm

This is not fair or giving both sides of the story at all. I cannot understand how anyone could think that students at Carlsbad would pass out these signs then rearrange them back to form the “KKK” and the fact that a student at any high school would deliver that message in a public news article shows how flawed our public school system is for teaching kids to go straight to the worst possible explanation it is very disappointing. NO ONE FROM CARLSBAD DID ANYTHING ON PURPOSE. Sage doesn’t know how to cope with loss. Maybe their alumni should teach them………. oh wait.

• G

Garry RichardsonFeb 19, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Are you crazy? The kid wrote both sides extremely well. I am a neighbor of both a SCHS and a CHS student who was at the game. Sage Creek scheduled an all white theme day way ahead of time and CHS students KNEW that. Then a CHS student (and friend of my neighbor’s child) publically told his friends that they have a “special surprise planned” for the game.

The KKK signs were the ONLY “surprise” of the night. I was there at both games to support both schools. Not to mention that both teams are competing in that KUSI battle for SPORTSMANSHIP which is all over social media.

So guess what Jeff, this student had EVERY RIGHT to publish this article and I applaud the staff of the paper and the teacher for supporting him.

You should also go and look at the PUBLIC FACTS in social media that reveal that some CHS parents ADMITTED it was premeditated. Oh, but it was an accident right? Well, if it was then WHERE IS THE PUBLIC APOLOGY BY THE STUDENTS? If it was just an honest mistake, there is NOTHING wrong with explaining that.

As a Carlsbad native and community member, the fighting over this whole thing is just terrible. Sure, the kid gave a small dig into Carlsbad in the final line, but it’s an OPINION piece. If he wanted it 100% biased, I suppose he could have done that. Your alumni joke however just proves your ignorance of the situation.

The SCHS doesn’t give a rats behind about the loss. The kids can cope with loss, they’re adults.

What I can’t stand Jeff Albert is that you would write such a false and hateful message to a student who is just doing his JOB (It’d be different if this was actually false)

Sorry to whoever has to read this to comb through for mature content, but this had to be said. If this article was BS I would call him out, but it was Powerful. It’s all over my social media and it needs to be on a higher platform. CHS defenders need to grow up and look at the facts.

Sam, you may face hate from this but that is journalism. Don’t listen to hate or take it to heart.

Don’t say anything stupid that you’ll regret on social media. You’ve got yourself a new, regular reader.

• D

De'Anna GullottaFeb 21, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Jeff,
      Looks like you just proved the point of the author and also the replies to this piece about the lack of class from the CHS chants and heckling. II am a parent of students from both schools and I know that CHS is not a racist school but unfortunately three students made an unwise decision to be very obnoxious. By acting like this was an innocent accident really does a disservice to the intelligence of CHS students. Sam you wrote a very well written unbiased article. Congratulations

• M

Mason WestFeb 19, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Completely overjoyed at the professionalism of this piece. Both sides were fairly addressed and the overall message was positive. From reading this, Each school community has something to learn. I have no clue how K K K could accidentally be formed together; statistical odds of that happning are slim to none. Ridiculous to see all of this mud slinging on social media from Lancers and Bobcats (kids and parents). There is no way on earth that the incident was not on purpose. It was WHITE OUT night and KKK are white supremacists. COME ON!

How you remained this calm in your response Sam, I cannot come to terms with. This just proves how professional SC is. Great settling and superb leadership.

• D

Deb KerekffyFeb 19, 2017 at 8:46 am

Very well written. As a parent it was disheartening to watch that game and how the students were treating each other. Even during the halftime show the girls that were dancing for Sage were mocked very cruelly by Carlsbad. And signs were held up “why even try”. I hope that Carlsbad students and Sage Creek students can rise above this kind of behavior and really show good sportsmanship and respect in the future.

• B

BridgetFeb 19, 2017 at 7:34 am

Well Written. As a parent of a student from each school I’m appalled at CHS students and I believe not holding CHS ACCOUNTABLE for a premeditated act is a travesty. Shame shame C-BAD student body &administration

• D

DYFeb 19, 2017 at 12:45 pm

It’s especially disappointing that the principal of Carlsbad High would respond with “The signs were created by students as a response to the opposing team’s chants, and were not intended to be held up next to each other, or to represent a message other than “OK.”. This is hardly holding students accountable when the leader of the school offers up an excuse that is laughable. I attended Morse High in the late 70’s and this kkk situation would have created an outcry in that diversified community. This is not the time to sweep such behavior under the rug and suggest it was an innocent mistake to put three kkk’s together and snapchat photos with this connected to sagecreek’s white t shirts implying what we all understand was the real intent of the message. Not ok ok ok as the principal would have us believe

• M

Ms. WilliamsFeb 18, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Sam,
    Thank you for your opinions, thoughts, and insights into this very tragic happening. I was shocked, and saddened to witness it.

• M

Mr CordellFeb 18, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Tragic if we do nothing. We have an opportunity to be the change that we want to see in this world. We need to build bridges.
    Mr. Cordell

• K

Kathy PaulinFeb 18, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Well written and I think you tried to be fair. The fact remains that those signs were made ahead of time, brought to Bobcat Arena by CHS students who then chose to sit together and display them for the crowd to read… pretty sure that KKK wasn’t misinterpreted

• J

Joey BabcockFeb 18, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Well written sam, and I’m glad you touched on the fact that the posters were passed out THEN came back and “happened” to arrange in that way…