Listen to it A$AP

Photo by Justin Mildenberger Courtesy of genius.com

A$AP Mob’s Cozy tapes Vol. 1: Friends is the group’s first mixtape since the tragic death of the group’s leader, A$AP Yams, in 2015. Yams was reported to have died of a drug overdose of codeine and xanax, yet members of A$AP mob have said he died of sleep apnea (which he was not diagnosed of). Either way, this mixtape was very emotional for all members such as A$AP Mob and others who were featured on the mixtape.

New York, NY. As good a place as any, and better than most, for the birth of the preeminent commercial rap group of our time. In the decade since their inception and the five years since their rise to fame, A$AP Mob has accreted a loyal following ranging from old head aficionados, to an emerging group of millennial hip-hop heads, drawn both to the group’s undeniable swagger and their gritty new York street image.

In any case, the glamour wasn’t always part of A$AP Mob’s reality; die hards and day ones can remember yamborghini.tumblr.com -the group’s lair if you will- where Jesus Steven Micheal Rodriguez, (aka A$AP Yams) would endlessly promote the Harlem group to anyone and everyone who would listen.

Back then, the A$AP operation was restricted to just four Morningside Harlem residents: A$AP yams, A$AP Bari, A$AP Sanden and A$AP Illz. Now the group consists of twelve members:  A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ferg, A$AP Twelvyy, A$AP Nast, A$AP Yams (2007- 2015), A$AP Bari, Dash, A$AP Dom, A$AP Ty Beats, A$AP Ant, A$AP Illz, A$AP Lou, A$AP AV, A$AP Lotto, A$AP J. Scott and, A$AP Josh.

Cozy Tapes Vol. 1, is by far the best mixtape that A$AP Mob has put out hands down. From the beats to the lyrics, it is fantastic- not to mention the instrumentals. Not every song is superb, but it is levels above than their last mixtape, L.O.R.D., which was frankly a train wreck.

The best songs on this album in my opinion are “Yamborghini High,” “Money Man,” “Runner,” and “Telephone Calls.” “Yamborghini High” is a 7 minute and 20 second song that includes a two minute skit at the beginning that talks about life in New York where most members of the group reside. “Money Man” is sung by A$AP Rocky, A$AP Nast and features Young Thug. A$AP Nast who particularly impressed me with this song has not yet released anything noteworthy in the past few years, so perhaps this is a new chapter in his career.

Photo by Justin Mildenberger Courtesy of asapmob.com taken by Djordje

“Runner” is sung by Lil Uzi Vert and A$AP Ant, and it sounds a lot like previous Uzi songs. At the beginning of it there is a sound effect that Uzi has used in many of his other songs. Uzi fans will be able to tell that he is on the song just by hearing this. “Telephone Calls” was the first song that was pre-released before the whole mixtape. This song got fans incredibly excited to hear the rest of the it due to the hype surrounding the names on this mixtape. The guest list includes Juicy J, Key!, Wiz Khalifa, BJ the Chicago Kid, Buddy, Skepta, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, MadeinTYO, Offset, Tyler The Creator and Yung Gleesh.

While the mixtape is very entertaining and has received a lot of praise, it is rather explicit. The language does add to the mixtape by continuing verses, and bars. Whether it is continuing a rhyme scheme or using slang that adds to songs, the language helps to tie the album together.

This mixtape could start off a new chapter in A$AP Mobs career as a group. The mixtape also helped A$AP Rocky and A$AP Ferg get their footing again in the hip hop world, seeing as both of their last albums were sub par. Cozy Tapes Vol. 1: Friends is a pretty decent mixtape that has put A$AP Mob back on the scene. If you are into hip-hop or rap than you will definitely enjoy this mixtape.