Sage Creek High School

Cal State San Marcos Trip for Sophomores

Timothy Baxter

Timothy Baxter

Timothy Baxter, Staff Writer

On Thursday, November 3, sophomores visited California State University San Marcos. California State University San Marcos is a public institution that was founded in 1989, and has rapidly grown to a well known California school.

It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 12,177, its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 304 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar, unlike Sage which institutes a trimester-based academic calendar. Cal State San Marcos is approximately 20 minutes away from Sage Creek. Sophomores arrived at school at 7:30 am to take a bus to the university. The bus ride took around 30 minutes.

When sophomores arrived, they attended a conference in which they learned about the school’s history as well as the plans for the day ahead. Starting off the day the students learned about the school´s enrollment, sports, studying abroad, and more.  After an hour of learning about the college, the students wandered to the nearby dorms. They learned about dorm life for college students and also about the amount of stairs there were on the campus.

The students then walked back onto campus to check out the campus´ flume, a very small swimming pool designed with a propeller or pump to generate a current, allowing a swimmer to swim in place. The reason for the flume was to showcase one of the majors, kinesiology, to the students. Kinesiology is the study of the mechanics of body movements.

Sophomores then explored different buildings and observed student lives and eateries. They also got to see a little bit of the prestigious art center and the Social and Behavioral Science building. Not allowed to go into the classrooms, the students finished their tour and took off to the commons area to buy lunch and eat. After eating lunch, they met up at the bus at 12:45 and returned to Sage Creek while the juniors arrived to tour the school. The sophomores got back in time for fifth period while the juniors got there after the school day ended. The juniors expressed their emotions and how much they liked and or disliked the school.

¨I was reluctant to going. My dad just kinda signed me up, and after I was impressed with their opportunities,” Junior Jonah Varelli admitted, “Now definitely considering Cal State San Marcos.”