Eighth Graders Visit Sage Creek’s Campus in its Annual “Experience Sage Creek” Event Shadowcats

Photo By Isabella Bernabeo
Senior Davian Rangel waves to eighth graders entering campus. Eighth graders arrived at Sage Creek at 9:30 a.m.

Last week, Sage Creek was home to eighth graders from a variety of middle schools around Carlsbad. Eighth graders had the chance to experience a typical high school day before they step into the new world themselves. 

Shadowcats is a Sage Creek legacy Genius Project. Their goal is to allow eighth graders to experience Sage Creek’s unique programs and classes before they make their final decision on where to attend high school.

Senior Ela Sims-Mahoney and Junior Sophie Hersh, the co-presidents of Sage Creek Shadowcats, worked hard to prepare for the special event. 

Co-presidents Ela Sims-Mahoney and Sophie Hersh sign in both eighth grade students and their high school peers. All high school grade levels can participate in Shadowcats and show their eighth grade partner around campus. (Photo By Isabella Bernabeo)

“[We]’ve been responsible for setting everything up, getting forms sent out to Sage Creek students and middle schoolers, creating a website, an Instagram, getting information sent out to teachers and to staff at middle schools,” Hersh said. “Closer to this week, we’ve had to do a lot of matching and pairing of students and then sending out emails and making sure everyone has the details.”

Sage Creek’s showcase and campus tours also assist middle school students in finding their spot on campus. However, Shadowcats differs from any other Sage Creek experience event due to its firsthand experience inside a high school teaching environment.

“I think it’s really impactful both to Sage Creek students and middle school students,” Sims-Mahoney said. “Some people just want to share their knowledge and help make middle schoolers make the right decision of what high school is right for them.”

Eighth graders signed up for Shadowcats by completing a google form. They were then be paired up with a current Sage Creek student who showed them around campus during break, second period, third period and lunch. 

This past Monday, Jan. 9, Aviara Oaks Middle School eighth graders visited our campus. 

Eighth grader Elise Lu had the special opportunity of being paired with her sister and senior Chloe Lu.  

“I’m happy because I already know her,” Elise Lu said. “I can just follow her around and meet all the people and teachers that [Chloe] has talked about.”

Sisters Chloe and Elise Lu smile. The two were paired together on Monday, Jan. 9.

Chloe has looked forward to being her sister’s Shadowcat since her freshman year at Sage Creek. 

“My Shadowcat experience is what made me come to Sage Creek, so I really wanted to share that with my sister as well,” Chloe Lu said. 

On Tuesday, Jan. 10, Calavera Hills Middle School was able to explore Sage Creek’s campus, followed by Valley Middle School and Carlsbad Seaside Academy on Jan. 12 and private schools and out-of-district students on Jan. 13. 

The itinerary for Shadowcats remained the same for the entire week.

At 9:30 a.m., middle school students and Sage Creek students meet in the Bobcat Cafeteria for a brief orientation. Then, at 9:40 a.m., the students were paired into partnerships and attended break. At 9:56 a.m. Sage Creek students took their eighth-grade partners to their second period.   

At 11:12 a.m. The pair went to the Sage Creek student’s third period. Then the two will enjoy lunch at 12:23 p.m. Finally, middle school students will be picked up in the pick-up circle at 1:00 p.m.

Next year, Sophie Hersh will overtake the Shadowcats program with a new lower classman to learn by her side. 

“I think she’s entirely prepared,” Sims-Mahoney said. “Her and I have worked as a really great team.”