Why you Should Attend a Coeducational College

Isabella Bernabeo, Assistant Web Editor-in-Chief

Ancient Greek philosopher Plato once said that “co-education creates a feeling of companionship.” Plato supported the teaching of both males and females in the same establishment to rid the education system of discrimination among sexes for the betterment of society as a whole. 

Students walk through Oberlin College. Oberlin College was the first American college to be founded as co-educational in 1833. (Licensed by https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/. )

Today, over 97 percent of four-year colleges in the United States are coeducational. So why are coed schools so popular? And what are the advantages of attending one?

Coeducational schools teach equality. When students are given an assignment or participate in class activities, everyone is given an equal chance to succeed. Students are graded based on their performance rather than their gender. 

Students will have to discuss and share their viewpoints with both sexes in coeducational environments, leading them to gain insight from others and challenge sexism. These institutes encourage people to participate in healthy debates and gain an understanding of other genders. 

This mutual respect for each other can remove shyness and low self-esteem when working with people of the opposite sex. Coeducational colleges make students bold, brave and confident so that when faced with problems both genders can work together to tackle the issue at hand.  

Purdue University’s entrance stands in front of the institute’s buildings. Purdue University has been co-ed since 1876,
(Licensed by https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)

“There is diversity in thought,” Purdue University Director of Admissions Mitch Warren said. “When students approach a problem, they come at it from different advantages points and what a cool way to try and solve a problem when you have people from all sides.”

Exposure to the voices of both men and women opens the doorway to many learning advantages. Students are able to proficiently communicate and express themselves with those they may not feel completely comfortable with, leading to improved communication skills.

Coeducation breeds a competitive environment. In a coeducational setting, men and women become familiar with collaboration in the workplace and competition for job positions, much like they will have to when they reach the “real world.”

“Being able to co-exist with people of the opposite sex, being exposed to those experiences, it’s mimicking real life,” Sage Creek counselor Christine DiBenedetto said. 

Columbia University students sit on the steps of the campus’s quad. Columbia University, a co-ed Ivy League institution, averages less tuition after aid compared to Columbia’s women’s institute Barnard College.
(Licensed by https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/. )

Having familiarity with the opposite gender teaches students how to co-exist and prepares them for their future experiences in their careers and other aspects of their life. This type of socialization and diversity from an early age can have major benefits on one’s social abilities. Whereas those that have not interacted much with people of the opposite sex may find it harder to fit in later on in life. 

“It’s more like the real world, you’re not going to have places with just men or just women, you’re going to have both, so you need to learn how to interact with each other,” Sage Creek senior Diana Salazar said.

Not only do coeducational institutes offer various personal advantages, but it also helps many students financially. The Ivy League institute, Columbia University, averages a total of $23,000 after aid, whereas Columbia’s women’s institute, Barnard College, averages $33,000 after aid.

Coeducational colleges support equality within our societies, help students to flourish in diverse communities and strengthen them for life after college. These schools shape our future politicians, doctors, lawyers, artists and more. Let’s continue to advance our civilization and attend a coed school.