The New Show “Wednesday” Sparks Debate Between the Old and New

Photo drawn by Angela Huang
Wednesday and her friend Enid are portrayed as complete opposites. Although they are very different, the two have an unbreakable bond and strong dynamic on screen.

Wednesday Addams is arguably one of the most iconic characters in the Addams family franchise and recently the main character in Netflix’s new mystery show “Wednesday.” Many people have been questioning whether or not the Addams family has been accurately portrayed and whether or not some of the plot lines have been fitting to the series. Internet citizens have been criticizing and disagreeing with many discrepancies between the Wednesday that viewers know today and the one from decades ago. 

However, some may also think that after all these years, this new Wednesday didn’t lose her spark and instead just grew up and matured. These arguments about Wednesday should be put to rest, so it’s time to comb through the years and years of this beloved character and time to find out the truths, lies and woes. 

The very first appearance of the Addams family came from a single-panel comic in The New Yorker written by Charles Addams in 1938. These panel comics were weekly and depicted a family that was the dark opposite of the glamorized American family. 

When they first debuted, it only introduced a handful of characters: the mother, a butler and a hand that became known as Thing. Then, they were joined by a father, a son and a daughter, as well as the baby and grandmother. 

While nameless, they were eventually named by Addams for the 1964 television series “The Addams Family.” The 2022 television series “Wednesday” is a mystery-centered show about the daughter of Mortica and Gomez Addams. Because of the rebellious acts in her previous school, she was sent to Nevermore, a school of outcasts and magic, where we follow Wednesday on her journey of solving the mystery of her past and future.

Jenna Ortega poses as Wednesday Addams on the poster for the mystery tv show directed by Tim Burton. The poster depicts Wednesday in rainy weather, in front of the school, Nevermore. (Photo from Netflix)

The Wednesday that many compare to the newest version is the one in the 1991 and 1993 “The Addams Family” and “The Addams Family Values.” One of the many things debated is the romance depicted on the TV show and the sequel, “The Addams Family Values” where the affection-deprived child finds her first love, Joel. 

The inconsistency comes from Wednesday, a very stoic girl with a deadpan wit not fitting in with the stereotyped love triangle plot. After her first appearance in the show, she stated clearly that she didn’t want anything to do with friends or people, nonetheless boyfriends

Erin Jaramillo, a junior at Sage Creek who recently just finished the series, thought the same and even went as far as thinking that romance is completely out of the character’s design. Jaramillo said that the character should’ve been asexual, someone who feels little to no sexual or romantic feelings towards others. 

“It felt very forced,” Jaramillo said.

The 1993 movie felt more natural and remains a fan favorite because of how Joel is comparably different to Wednesday, always on edge and also constantly battling his deathly allergies. He does share common ground that he is an outcast, similar to Wednesday. 

Even so, her two love interests, Tyler and Xavier, seem to be pining for someone who couldn’t care less about them and more about the mystery at hand. Some even thought that Wednesday and her friend Enid had developed the strongest chemistry. 

Many watchers felt the same; the mystery in the show seems to be focused on more rather than the boys Wednesday simply couldn’t care less about.

“The romance wasn’t fitting like there wasn’t a lot of interest,” Diana Salazar, a senior in Sage Creek said. “If there was, it should’ve been more apparent.”  

In an interview with Etalk, Jenna Ortega, the actor for Wednesday, thought the same as well.

“No, honestly I’m going to fight this love triangle thing so hard because I think don’t think Wednesday would ever be in a love triangle, and I talked to the writers about this, and they were like ‘don’t worry, don’t worry. It’s not gonna be that.’ I think in terms of relationships it’s just kind of amusing to her. I think it’s very clear in the show that her primary concern is the monster and wanting to get to the bottom and figuring it out.”    

Another difference is the fact that she isn’t as morbid as Wednesday in both the movies. While the 1991 Wednesday went around trying to torture her brother and in 1993, trying very hard and barely succeeding in smiling, in 2022, she finds herself with conflicting thoughts about opening up and finding friendships. 

This difference has caused people to say that she has either “mellowed out” or “grown up.”

While this may be true, it should also be accounted that “she is growing up and is at an age where a girl only thinks about one thing. . . murder.” 

All jokes aside, wouldn’t it also be a little reasonable to see Wednesday have some resemblance to her mother, father or even become a little curious of the people outside? To have her mature a bit?

In addition to the show, it should also be mentioned that the actor, Jenna Ortega, the woman who played Wednesday, has the general consensus that her performance on Wednesday was fantastic. Many have said that her acting has held up to the standards and expectations of the iconic Wednesday in past movies. From her stern looks to a perfect execution, she is definitely one for the books.

Despite its differences, many people enjoyed the show with its quick wit and dark humor. The mysteries and surprises at every turn kept the audience engaged and left wanting more.

• -

-Dec 12, 2022 at 8:31 am

Man, I do not even care about the romance I just feel the acting for Wednesday is amazing and the fact Wednesday barely blinks on set is interesting.