Photos from Michele Ward and Sharon McKeeman

Michele Ward (left) and Sharon McKeeman (right) pose for a photo. Both candidates are running for board trustee in Area 1.

Area One: Michele Ward and Sharon McKeeman

The two candidates running in Area One are Michele Ward and Sharon McKeeman. Ward’s decision to run for school board was ultimately driven by her love of learning, which was sparked by her experience in the public education system.

“Public schools prepare every learner to have an opportunity to have a successful future regardless of who they are or their background,” Ward notes. “I am a product of our public schools and I want to make sure our public schools are protected, valued, and built upon for generations to come.”

Ward has lived in Carlsbad for 20 years. During that time, she worked as an elementary school teacher in the district and held a board position at the Carlsbad Educational Foundation. She became a school administrator after teaching elementary grades. 

If elected to the school board position, she would like to make sure students are ready for their future by building strong foundations in a multitude of subjects and developing skills such as critical thinking.

She would also like students to be aware of their community and the world around them, as society is always changing.

“I will support CUSD with moves for diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives for all of our schools. Having a better understanding of those around them will help our students build their capacity and empathy for others, so they can be compassionate and knowledgeable leaders,” she continues. “No student should ever feel worried about their identity, color of their skin, ethnic background, sexual orientation, learning ability, beliefs, or anything else that makes our community diverse when coming to school to learn.”

Because of her extensive experience working with schools and her in-depth understanding of what it takes to be a teacher and administrator, she thinks she will be able to offer a special perspective and qualities to the table.

“I will listen to our school community, be an active participant in the activities in our school district, and make prudent decisions based on information that is shared with me by CUSD staff and the school community,” she remarks.

Ward’s opponent, Sharon McKeeman, has also lived in North County for a decade. She was encouraged to run for this position because of her passion for the community.

“I want to ensure that our children receive an excellent education and families have a voice,” she states.

McKeeman first moved to Carlsbad for its educational opportunities. She has been employed in the field of education for the past 20 years in a variety of roles, including as a public school teacher, substitute teacher, proprietor of an online school and parent educator through a hybrid charter school. She fought for kids’ rights to effective education during the pandemic and pushed for the reopening of schools by teaching parents about their rights to free speech and mask choice on campus.

“I am currently leading initiatives to help students recoup from the learning loss incurred during the pandemic,” she states.

Her top priorities if elected to this post are complete transparency, school safety and academic performance. She also thinks that emphasizing each student’s individual talents, problems and learning styles will enable them to succeed academically.

In the wake of the pandemic, she also wants to ensure good mental health for students and reinstate funding for art instruction.

“We need to have policies and resolutions in place that ensure schools remain open and students have access to education without restrictions,” she asserts.

McKeeman aims to assist pupils and promote dialogue within the Carlsbad neighborhood. She thinks that when parents and teachers are supported equally, a community is stronger. She also thinks that parent involvement in the school community will be beneficial.

In a statement to the parents of students in the district, she stated, “I’m sorry that many of you felt pushed out due to the volunteer vaccine verification requirement that the district implemented even though it was not required by the state.” 

She recognizes that CUSD is a very well-run district and wants to carry on that legacy.

“It is our responsibility as parents, community members, and educators to instill a love of learning, nurture creativity and innovation, facilitate instruction, build skill sets, and provide a safe learning environment for all students” she concludes.

The Sage • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in