A Farewell from Some of Sage Creek’s Teachers

Three teachers reflect and look forward to their journeys beyond Sage Creek.

Jamie Solis: AP Microeconomics and Economics Teacher

AP Macroeconomics and Economics teacher Jamie Solis looks out at mountains. Solis will be leaving Sage Creek to spend more time with family and explore new paths. (Photo From sagecreek-cusd-ca.schoolloop.com)

Q: What are your best memories at Sage Creek?

A: “I have really enjoyed my time here. One Specific memory, I think it was the class of 2019, that year they asked every Friday if we could sing the national anthem, and we did. Then they asked if they could do it for a rally and I made it happen. Our class for AP Microeconomics sang the National Anthem. Just the energy they brought that year and their willingness to have fun and be vulnerable together was just very special.”

Q: What do you want to say to your students now that you are leaving? 

A: “I want them to know one, how special Sage Creek is, there’s a lot of wonderful people on this campus and I’ve been grateful for my time here. Grateful for the connections I’ve made with my students and as far as what I want for them in life, I want them to go into it boldly and confidently. To work towards a world that understands everyone’s differences and celebrate their individualism. To allow for questions, and make space to fumble, and focus on a person’s intent and character and who they are.”

Q: Where will you go after this school year is over?

A: “I’m going to enjoy some time with my babies. I will still be local in North County but I’m going to be at home with my boys and I might actually have a full career shift.” 

Madison McLean: Algebra 2, Pre Calc Honors and Math Analysis Teacher

Madison McLean, Algebra 2, Pre Calc Honors, Math Analysis Teacher, is leaving Sage Creek this year. She is the coach of the soccer team. She will be teaching in Cordyline, Ohio at Lake City High School next year. (Photo From Madison McLean)

A: “My best memories would probably be all the school spirit, like days and weeks, and pep rallies, or staff v student games. Those are always so fun for me and gave me a chance to connect with my Coworkers and peers. It almost brought back memories from high school years that I thoroughly enjoyed and it’s fun to be in that environment. Another best memory I’ve had here is just my experience coaching for the girls soccer team.”

A: “First and foremost I’m going to miss this population of kids and just all the personalities at Sage and all the unique relationships I’ve made with athletes and students. I’ve made great relationships and I’m going to miss every single one of them and I even plan on coming back and being a part of graduation and seeing some of the future classes graduate. In terms of moving forward, especially to those I feel like I’ve really liked established relationships with and connected with and I wouldn’t be able to see them on campus next year or the year after. Obviously, people are going to come and go in your life. People that have impacted you or you care a lot about. With that, cherish all the time you have with the people in your life in the current moment. Life is all about that, after you graduate you’re not going to see any of these teachers again. Just really keeping in mind that relationships can’t last forever no matter how short or long, and always be present in all of them. I’m trying to do the same before I embark on this new journey, just to be as present as I can, impacting these kids as much as possible before I take off.”

A: “I am going to Cordyline, Ohio. I will be teaching at Lake City High School and coaching for North Timber’s Thorne Soccer Club.” 

Melissa Barry: English 2 Teacher and Yearbook Advisor 

Yearbook Advisor and English 2 teacher Melissa Barry poses in her classroom. Barry is going on to become an assistant principal at Aviara Oaks Middle. (Photo by Juliette D’Eliseo)

A: “I really enjoy the sophomore class that is now the senior class. They are a special group to me. We had a lot of fun pre-pandemic but some of my best memories this year have been just the yearbook staff because as a yearbook teacher you have such a different relationship with the students vs like an English class. There are just so many fun memories, deadline parties, and fun shenanigans behind the scenes in the yearbook. As a parent my freshman goes here and is able to see him in his school life. Being able to see him and his friends on campus and what his life is like at school is pretty cool.”

A: “My advice to them is to keep going even when it gets tough. They know that my background has been going on different journeys all leading me to taking on new paths. They watch me really work hard to get to that and that’s my advice to them. It doesn’t always seem like the easiest route and even if it’s not super easy, do the hard work and it will pay off in the long run. That’s what I keep telling them, to do the hard work and you will get there.” 

A: “I am leaving the teaching profession and I’m going to be the new assistant principal at Aviara Oaks middle school. I’ll be down the road and making sure we have a lot of really good future bobcats.”