“Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie” – An Overview

A+screen+at+Regal+Theater+displays+the+title+and+showtime+of+a+Jujutsu+Kaisen+Showing.+In+the+US%2C+the+movie+was+released+in+both+an+English+dub%2C+and+the+original+Japanese+with+English+subtitles.+
Photo By Lulu Horne
A screen at Regal Theater displays the title and showtime of a Jujutsu Kaisen Showing. In the US, the movie was released in both an English dub, and the original Japanese with English subtitles.

The prequel to season one of the wildly popular anime “Jujutsu Kaisen,” “Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie” is a beautifully animated and highly enjoyable film that can be enjoyed by returning fans, or as an introduction to the world of JJK.

The movie was first released in Japan on Dec. 24, 2021 and in the United States on March 18. It has already surpassed $150 million globally, and in Japan, it has now become the 20th highest-grossing film in box office history. 

Based on a volume of Manga by the same title, the movie focuses on the sorcerer Yuta Okkotsu. Okkotsu was mentioned in the preceding season, but details about his history and abilities were kept in shadow. 

At 16 years old, Okkotsu enters Jujutsu High, a school that cultivates the skills of young sorcerers, humans who were born with the ability to see and exorcise curses (with some exceptions). Okkostsu is one of these exceptions.

A high power cursed human who is haunted by his deceased childhood friend Rika Orimoto, Okkotsu wields an immense power. Throughout the course of the movie, we follow both Okkotsu’s learning process and are exposed to the villain of the film, Geto Suguru, a former student of Jujutsu High turned cult leader.

Suguru’s extreme beliefs in the supremacy of those who are able to use “cursed techniques,” and his hatred for the human population leads him to fight towards his goal of a world consisting of purely Jujutsu Sorcerers.

Manga fans who have more background knowledge of Suguru’s time at Jujutsu High were in for a surprise with the addition of a scene not originally present in the JJK 0 manga. A confrontation between powerful Jujutsu High teacher Gojo Satoru and Geto provided more context for first time watchers, and a depressing reminder of what’s to come for readers. 

With the growing popularity of animated television and film, this movie came with high expectations. With a critic score of 97% and an audience score of 98%, the film seems to have delivered an exciting, quality entertainment experience.

“I thought the animation was great and the fight scenes were super well choreographed,” Keira Chen, a senior at Sage Creek, said. “[The animation] fit really well with the theme of the anime itself and felt more like a long extra then a stand-alone movie.“ 

Overall, opinions of the film seem positive. Its combination of high-quality animation and an interesting and unique storyline contribute to its popularity. 

Crunchyroll, a popular anime streaming service recently announced that Season 2 will be released sometime in 2023, and with a hit first season and wildly popular movie, the newest season will come with high expectations and excitement.