Girl Scouts Are Back Again: What Cookies Will You Buy This Year?

Founded in 1912 by Juliette Gordon Low, Girl Scouts was created to construct a girls leadership program in a time when women didn’t have much equality, such as the right to vote. 

“[Low] developed an organization that helped to inspire courage and confidence in women that they could do anything,” CEO of Girl Scouts San Diego, Carol Dedrich stated. “She developed these programs and worked with girls and women to help [them] discover things they might not have ever looked at before.”

Girl Scouts offered a community in which many girls could consider pursuing a job that was mainly dominated by men, such as becoming a pilot or a doctor. The program made it a goal to ensure that they did not discriminate against the girls that entered into the Girl Scouts’ community. 

“All girls can participate in Girl Scouts, regardless of their economic status, regardless of their race, their ethnicity, their religious background, regardless of who they were…it was an equalizer [so] that any girl that came together could feel a sisterhood and a bond with the other girls in the organization,” Dedrich said. 

Not only has Girl Scouts created a diverse community of girls, but it has also provided an opportunity for these women to learn new life skills. 

Junior Kaitlyn Jensen believes that becoming a Girl Scout has helped her acquire valuable life experience.

“[I’ve learned to] organize stuff like bigger projects, also talking to adults and the people in charge [to help know when we] can get hours and when we can do this work, just a lot of communication skills which are super helpful,” Jensen stated.

Becoming a Girl Scout has also encouraged shyer members to gain confidence by selling products. 

“I think a lot of it is coming over your shyness and that was a big part of me, especially in booth sales you’re literally in front of a store you have to ask strangers if they want to help out your troop and you have to go up to your neighbors’ doors and I think that’s a really important skill,” junior Lauren Mathios said.  

Five years after Girl Scouts had begun, in 1917 the program kicked off its cookie business. Originally, the cookies were made to help provide financing for the WWI war effort. The first cookie Girl Scouts baked was the classic sugar cookie and by 1928, Girl Scout cookies began to sell nationwide as young women went door-to-door to vend their cookies. 

As the years went on, Girl Scouts designed new cookies to add to their menu. So what cookies will be available this year?

Thin Mints

Thin Mints were first released in 1939 named, “Cooky-mints.” In 1959, the cookie was renamed “Thin Mints.”

Thin Mints consist of a crispy wafer cookie that is covered in chocolate coating and flavored with natural peppermint oil. Thin Mints sell for $5 a box and are Girls Scouts’ top-selling cookie.

Samoas

First released in 1975, this crunchy cookie is dipped in caramel before being submerged in roasted flaky coconut shreds. Samoas are then topped off with a light drizzle of dark chocolate. These cookies sell for $5 a box and are Girl Scouts’ second top-selling cookie. 

Adventurefuls

This year, Girl Scouts launched a new cookie called “Adventurefuls.” This brownie-inspired cookie is filled with caramel flavored creme in the middle and topped with a drizzle of sea salt caramel. These cookies sell for $5 a box.

Tagalongs

Girl Scouts’ third top-selling cookie, Tagalongs, was first divulged in 1976. These crumbly cookies are indulged with peanut butter before being coated in smooth chocolate and sold for $5 a box.

Trefoils

This shortbread cookie is simple with a slight hint of vanilla before being baked in the shape of a Girl Scout’s trefoil. Trefoils were released in 1974 and sell for $5 a box. 

Do-si-dos

These sandwich-type cookies were issued in 1974 with oatmeal cookies serving as the exterior before being spread with peanut butter in the middle. These cookies sell for $5 a box.

Lemon-Ups 

Selling for $5 a box, these crispy lemon-flavored cookies are baked with encouraging messages such as “I am a leader.” Lemon-Ups were marketed in 2012 to celebrate Girl Scouts’ 100th year anniversary.   

Toffee-tastic 

This specialty cookie, released in 2014, is loaded with bits of toffee before being baked to golden perfection. Toffee-tastic’s sell for $6 a box. 

Girls Scouts S’mores

Marshmallow and chocolate-flavored cream is submerged between two crunchy graham cracker cookies. Bursting with flavor, this specialty cookie was released in 2016 and sells for $6 a box. 

With this array of diverse cookie flavors, it can be hard to choose which cookie you’ll treat yourself the most with. Which cookies will you buy this year?