NFC Championship Game: The Battle For California

This Sunday’s NFC Championship Game will not only settle the score between the Rams and 49ers, it will also decide who will represent the NFC in this year’s Super Bowl.
Photo by Nick Cepek
49ers fans, Peyton Miller (left) and Antwone Montanez (right) discuss Sunday’s game against the Rams. Fans of both teams remain optimistic ahead of the weekend.

“Credit [to] the Niners, they made more plays than we did,” Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay said, following the team’s 24-27 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. “We’ll move forward the right way, but this was a tough one today.”

McVay kept his press conference brief, he answered few questions and did not spend time elaborating. The Rams’ loss to the 49ers in the final game of the regular season marks their sixth consecutive loss to their in-state rival.

Fortunately for the Rams, they’ll have a chance to one-up their 49ers and punch their ticket to the Super Bowl in this Sunday’s NFC Championship Game.

Rams fan, Luke Peterson is optimistic that his team can overcome the 49ers and head to the Super Bowl.

“I know the Rams haven’t been great against the 49ers lately,” Peterson said. “But we’re going to be playing for a chance to go to the Super Bowl so I think we’ll be able to beat them and look what we’ve done so far in the playoffs.”

The Rams’ path through the playoffs has been impressive. In the wildcard round of the playoffs, the team held the Arizona Cardinals offense to 11 points and intercepted quarterback Kyler Murray twice.

In the divisional round, the Rams’ imposing defense stifled the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ offense, sacking quarterback Tom Brady three times.

The Rams will face a 49ers team that has had an equally impressive season and playoff performance.

Led by head coach Kyle Shanahan, the 49ers were the seventh-best in points per game and fifth-best in sacks during the regular season. 

49ers fan, Peyton Miller is confident his team will keep their six-game win streak alive against the Rams.

“We’ve beaten them a ton during the last couple seasons,” Miller said. “They have some good weapons, I know Cooper Kupp is good, but look at Deebo [Samuel] and the rest of our offensive weapons.”

The 49ers were a resurgent team during the regular season. After a four-game losing streak, the team bounced back with wins against the Chicago Bears and Cincinnati Bengals. 

The 49ers’ playoff path has been noteworthy because of their back-to-back upset wins. In the wildcard round of the playoffs, the team upset the Dallas Cowboys and sacked quarterback Dak Prescott five times. 

In the divisional round, the 49ers faced the dominant Green Bay Packers. The team held Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers to a disappointing 225 passing yards and no touchdowns.

This Sunday’s NFC Championship Game will not only settle the score between the Rams and 49ers, but it will also decide who will represent the NFC in this year’s Super Bowl.