Dune 2021 vs Dune 1984

Photo Taken From polygon.com
Timothée Chalamet played Paul in the 2021 version of Dune. In this photo, he is ready to fight for a spot in the Fremen community.

The story Dune, written by Frank Herbert, is a space story about a young man named Paul Atreides who is destined to become the new face of the House of Atreides. He is the son of Lady Jessica and Leto Atreides. 

The evil empire sends them to the planet Arrakis, also known as Dune. Arrakis has the most valuable substance in the universe known as Spice. Spice is the key to space travel and survival in space. It also gives health to the Fremen, people who live on Arrakis. Paul must defeat the empire and restore peace on Arrakis. 

Kyle MacLachlan played Paul in the 1984 version of Dune. In this scene, he is on planet Arakis.
(Photo Taken From vulture.com)

Paul then finds out he is “The Kwisatz Haderach,” a child believed to see all memories from ancestors and have creepy dreams about the future. He sees dreams of a girl and war. He then sees all that happens in his dreams as if his dreams predict the future.

The original 1984 version with Kyle MacLachlan as Paul was a bust and lots of people hated it. The new Dune with Timothée Chalamet as Paul is a huge improvement. The storyline of Dune is drastically improved from David Lynch’s take on Dune. The original is much longer and boring beyond belief while the new Denis Villeneuve version keeps audiences intrigued. 

Dune’s incredible set designs and effects really bring the story to life. The sandworms (one of the creatures in Dune) are a main part of the story and give the movie a horror effect. The CGI, sound and special effects are incredible and really make the story come alive. The camera angles and how the camera moves makes it feel like you’re in the movie.

Star Wars was released in 1977, seven years before the original Dune. Star Wars had much better effects than the original Dune.
(Photo Taken From medium.com)

Granted, the new movie was made 37 years later but they had great technology back then making the lack of quality of the 1984 film inexcusable. They could have done better.

A film that had incredible effects and came out at a similar time to the original Dune was Star Wars. Star Wars came out in May 1977. Star Wars had exceptional effects. Especially the lightsaber, the ships in space and more. That was seven years before Dune came out.

David Lynch, the director of the 1984 version, even disowned his own movie. 

“Looking back, it’s no one’s fault but my own. I probably shouldn’t have done that picture…” David Lynch said. 

The overall quality of the old Dune is just bad and probably the reason there is a new one to make up for the disaster in 1984. The new movie even did a remix of the song Eclipse by Pink Floyd for their trailer. 

The new Dune is only half the story; it’s easier to follow the story that way so that every detail gets in. Having multiple movies instead of cramming it all into one movie gets people more interested in franchises and leaves them on a cliffhanger. 

In conclusion, the new Dune is a huge improvement and many look forward to the sequel coming out in October 2023.