Photo taken by Grace Cowart

A delicious ginger batch of spice cookies. These cookies are also gluten-free, so they’re suitable for people who have gluten intolerances as well!

Ginger Spice Cookies

We have a recipe for some amazing gluten-free ginger spice cookies! With these amounts, you make 15 cookies, but you can adjust them to your need to make more. These take around 45 minutes prep time and 12 minutes bake time. 

You will need:

½ cup softened vegan butter

⅔ cup organic cane sugar

3 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea brine- aka the liquid from a can of cooked chickpeas)

3 tbsp molasses

¾ tsp baking powder

1 tsp ground cinnamon

¾ tsp ginger

¼ tsp nutmeg

¼ tsp sea salt

1 ⅔ cup gluten-free flour blend

⅔ cup almond flour

⅓ cup cornstarch

1. First, you need to preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
  2. Add vegan butter to a large bowl and beat for about one minute
  3. Add the sugar and mix on medium speed for roughly one minute. Then, add the chickpea brine and molasses and mix one more time. Scrape the sides as needed.
  4. Add the baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and sea salt and blend. Then add the gluten-free flour blend, almond flour, and cornstarch, and mix it on low until everything is combined. The dough should be thick and difficult to mix: if it seems too soft, make it thicker by adding 1 tbsp of gluten-free flour blend, almond flour, and cornstarch until a thick, moldable dough is formed. Then, move the dough to the fridge and let it chill for about 30 minutes.
  5. Use a cookie scooper or tablespoon to measure out 1 ½ tbsp amounts of dough and gently roll them into balls. Then, carefully roll in the cinnamon-sugar topping and arrange on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Press down gently with the palm of your hand or a drinking glass to smash until about the thickness you want to enjoy them at. They won’t spread or rise much so keep that in mind.
  6. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the cookies appear fluffy and the edges are slightly beginning to dry out. Let it cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  7. If frosting, whisk together the powdered sugar and almond milk until a thick, pourable glaze is achieved. Then drizzle over the cookies. 

Once cooled, you can store the leftover cookies covered at room temperature for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

I definitely cut a lot of corners when it came to making these cookies, but surprisingly, they turned out awesome! While they weren’t my favorite out of the recipes, they most certainly weren’t bad! While they definitely weren’t the most beautiful recipe visually, the texture and flavor definitely made up for that.

Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker

The Sage • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in