Photo taken by Grace Cowart

A batch of four caramel apples, surrounded by pumpkins to get in the mood for spooky season! Even if you’re like me and not a talented baker, these recipes still taste just as good as ever!

Caramel Apples

The first recipe is for a batch of six caramel apples, an iconic treat for the fall season. These are a quick make that only take around five minutes prep time and ten minutes cook time, so they’ll be ready within 15 minutes!

You will need:

6 small apples

6 popsicle sticks

⅓ cup plant butter sticks

¾ cup white sugar

3 tablespoons dairy-free half and half

¼ cup light corn syrup

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

A dash of salt

Whatever topping you want- melted vegan chocolate, chopped nuts, chopped seeds, sprinkles, etc.!

1. Wash and dry your apples and push popsicle sticks at the top (near the stem). Set the apples aside on a parchment-lined cookie sheet while making your caramel.
  2. Melt the dairy-free butter in a saucepan until it’s totally melted. Then, mix in the white sugar, corn syrup, half and half, and a dash of salt.
  3. Whisk the ingredients together until mixed. Boil in the saucepan over medium-low heat for about seven minutes.
  4. When ready, remove the caramel sauce from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let the sauce cool and thicken for about 10-15 minutes, but don’t allow it to cool completely, otherwise, the caramel will thicken before you get the opportunity to dip the apples.
  5. Dip the apples in the caramel. You can use a spoon to scoop it as well.
  6. Place the dipped apples back onto the cookie sheet. While the caramel is still sticky, you can sprinkle your desired topping, if you’d like. You can store the dipped apples in a container or bag at room temperature for up to three days.

This recipe is great for a quick dessert to make, whether that be for a Halloween party snack, a sweet treat to share with friends, or just a fun snack to stay seasonal! Considering I’m not a very talented baker, I was concerned the caramel would be easy to mess up. However, it ended up a lot better than I expected! My biggest mistake was the way I put the caramel on the apples- I recommend using a silicone spatula to make sure the caramel goes all the way around the apple and doesn’t sink to the bottom.

Recipe adapted from The Fit Cookie

The Sage • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in