Sage Style: Christian Dorsey-McQueen and Natalie Irving

Sage+Creek%E2%80%99s+very+own+FIDM+Fashion+Club+presidents+pose+in+their+unique+styles.+They+display+the+wide+diversity+of+perspective+on+fashion.+
Photo taken by Leo Ambrogelly
Sage Creek’s very own FIDM Fashion Club presidents pose in their unique styles. They display the wide diversity of perspective on fashion.

When stepping onto Sage Creek High School’s campus, you may notice that it’s home to a student body of such diversity in self-expression. For some students, the very heart of self-expression is style. Style is one of the simplest ways to set yourself apart from others, show how you think and what your interests are without saying anything. 

While co-presiding over the FIDM Fashion Club, seniors Christian Dorsey-McQueen and Natalie Irving are perfect examples of unique styles with their polar opposite approaches towards fashion: while Dorsey-McQueen opts for contemporary gothic, all-black, mysterious silhouettes, Irving often sports a diverse and vibrant color palette. 

Everyone’s fashion journey begins somewhere. Although quarantine was brutal for many, it was also an opportunity to explore one’s passions and unique interests. For Dorsey-McQueen, he took this opportunity to emerge himself in the fashion world, emphasizing his inspirations from Black creators.

“I began exploring my fashion during quarantine when I was able to reflect [on] who I am as a person, and how I can reflect that in my clothing choices,” Dorsey-McQueen said. “I take inspiration from a mix of different things; most importantly, I take inspiration from Black creators because it’s really important to see people like me in the industry. Specific influencers would be Wisdm, PyerMoss, and Lewis Hamilton.”

Dorsey-McQueen was quick to add advice and strongly suggest how people should use style as a tool for self-expression.

“For people trying to find their style, always start with your interests,” he said. “Always start with yourself and your interests because once you have that, fashion can become less intimidating… Style is identity. The way you dress yourself tells the people around you who you are… when you style and get dressed, do it for you and your identity and don’t try to conform and push down who you are.” 

When one develops their style, they will almost always adapt signature pieces. Dorsey-McQueen’s favorite pieces have become iconic for embodying his personality and identity.

“I always wear darker colors, primarily black,” he expressed. “However, I always push to make the color palette unique, different, and something that reflects me. My signature pieces that I always incorporate are a wide-brimmed hat, my black Coach shoes, high-waisted pants, and unique button-down shirts.”

Christian Dorsey-McQueen styles his signature all-black outfit, featuring his wide-brimmed hat, chiffon scarf, and Coach sneakers. As co-president of the FIDM Fashion Club, he is always experimenting with implementing unique textures and silhouettes. (Photo taken by Leo Ambrogelly)

In contrast, Irving’s signature is built up of fun silhouettes, bright colors, and patterns, often incorporating platform shoes. Her style journey began when her grandmother taught her to sew and she fell in love with it.

“My grandma taught me how to sew when I was eight; it’s a fun process,” Irving shared. “I just fell in love with the idea of being able to make something that no one else in the world has, and it came from my brain. So whenever people compliment [my clothing], they’re complimenting my brain as well as my outfit, and it’s just really rewarding.”

One of Irving’s most significant values is to focus on confidence and to wear whatever feels the most comfortable and unique to your personality. 

“Wear what you want,” Irving said. “That’s the biggest piece of advice I could ever give… Don’t be afraid, the worst-case scenario, you wear something, and you’re like, ‘oh, this was a mistake,’ and you don’t wear it again, you know? Just wear what you want, find your style, wear things that are personal to you and just have fun with it.”

Style comes down to who you are as a person and how you choose to interpret that in your clothing. FIDM Fashion Club is a great place to start exploring and reinventing personal style. As a co-president, Irving shares how she is always in awe of the endless possibilities for style.

“My favorite part is that everybody has a different style… which is just really fun because everyone has their own unique perspective, and it shows how diverse everyone thinks.”

Senior Aleadra Amor, also a member of the FIDM Fashion Club shares her thoughts on her hopes and plans for the club this year, especially on education.

“I really hope to bring in more people and for us to learn about different parts of fashion, not just high fashion but also streetwear and other undercultures.”

Natalie Irving models some brightly colored outerwear, paired with coordinating and fun-patterned pants. She always pushes to center her outfits with vibrant color palettes. (Photo taken by Leo Ambrogelly)

Dorsey-McQueen adds how passionate he feels about the meaning behind personal style and how he wants to embody that in their club.

“The FIDM Fashion Club is a club where people can come and develop their own style,” Dorsey-McQueen said. “We look into the fashion world, we design, we sketch, and we create. Fashion club is for everyone; this club is to promote how fashion can be used as a tool of self-confidence and express individuality.”

“Last year, we talked and talked, and now I think that it’s now time to create and do something tangible; this includes creating a lookbook and possibly a fashion show.”

Natalie and Christian’s hope that more students will find fashion as a powerful medium of self-expression as well as build up their self-confidence has impacted students and further pushed some to try something new. 

Having unique style holds irreplaceable value that comes with endless opportunities and options to express individuality. If you’re looking to experiment with your style, remember to have confidence and wear what feels unique to your identity and personality.