A Studio for the Neighborhood: Barrio Glassworks blazes its way into Carlsbad

+Beyond+the+workshop%2C+hundreds+of+glass+pieces+glimmer+in+the+gift+shop.+Visitors+can+take+a+piece+of+the+studio+home+by+purchasing+a+premade+piece+or+joining+in+with+the+Make-your-Own+program.
Photo by Nadia Razzaq
Beyond the workshop, hundreds of glass pieces glimmer in the gift shop. Visitors can take a piece of the studio home by purchasing a premade piece or joining in with the Make-your-Own program.

Sunlight beams into the new glass studio at 3060 Roosevelt St, along with the flow of fresh air and conversation. The mural of a woman glassblowing on the slant-style building is difficult to go unnoticed. The open garage window reveals the artists’ haven. 

In the winter of 2012, the Raskin/Delvin family had a change of plans for their vacation, leading them to discover their household passion on the island of Murano, Italy, well-known for its Murano glass making. Eight years later, in December 2020, the family opened Barrio Glassworks, igniting a spark of creativity and inclusivity within the Carlsbad Village. The delicate art of glassblowing has entered the spotlight with the emergence of the glimmering studio for all to relish. 

Glass artist Logan Groupe makes finishing touches after firing a glass cup. Glass blowers must move swiftly so the glass does not cool before they have completed their design. ( Photo by Nadia Razzaq)

Beginning the workday at 8 a.m., owner and director of programming, Mary Delvin, fuels up the furnaces with husband and studio manager, Gary Raskin, and son and creative director, Drew Raskin. 

When it’s time to get to work, the artists collect hot glass on a rod, blow a bubble into the glass from the opposite end and add shape or color for a distinctive finish. 

“Keep [the glass] hot; keep it moving,” Delvin said. 

Having grown up in San Diego, Delvin finds herself at home in a beachside city, this time, with a burning passion and family that has put the word “barrio”, meaning “neighborhood” in Spanish, at the forefront of their initiative. To create a community-based studio, they offer the opportunity to take a make-your-own glass class. Visitors can also view the artists’ process, shop glass-blown goods and view a rotational feature gallery. 

The triumphs of captivating visitors and local shoppers are only a couple of the benefits the Raskin/Delvin family has witnessed so far in its prime spot. It is no challenge to get Carlsbad locals and visitors to join in. 

“The biggest success has been the embracing by both the community and the community of glassblowers,” Delvin said. “They are very excited we are here. It is very unusual to have a public studio.”

The studio displays San Diego-based glass artist Nic McGuire’s “Monarch Flutter” installation. Throughout the year, the gallery presents a new artist to recognize local talent. (Photo by Nadia Razzaq)

Barrio Glassworks has fostered a mass outreach to locals by creating programs for the Carlsbad by the Sea senior home, hosting field trips for the Boys and Girls Club around the corner and curating an art experience at 15 businesses. At GelatoLove, the work of Michael Hernandez, an Associate Professor of the glassblowing program at Palomar College, was one of many artists featured for the month of April with their glassworks displayed around the village.

“We get to enjoy the art every day and for people coming in, it’s just another thing to catch their attention,” a GelatoLove employee said. “I do see a lot of people looking at it through the window.”

Sophomore Grace Martin stumbled upon the studio while helping to clean up the community one weekend with her family. 

“There are always good stories about [Barrio Glassworks] and they just look like they have a fun time glassblowing,” Martin said. “I would be interested in taking lessons. Whenever I have family or friends in town, I’ll swing by there.”  

The eye-candy colors and fair designs that flow through the hundreds of glassworks in the gift shop gleam. Not only an immense treat to the eye, Barrio Glassworks also makes a true and lasting impression on its visitors due to the conversations and connections made with the family-owned business that contribute to its neighbor-like charm. It is without a doubt this fine art will continue to mesmerize those who come across this unique and inviting studio.