State Mask Mandates are Being Lifted

+This+sign+is+present+at+the+entrance+to+the+Shops+at+Park+Lane+in+Dallas%2C+Texas.+With+the+lifting+of+the+coronavirus+restrictions+in+Texas%2C+businesses+now+have+the+opportunity+to+make+masks+a+requirement+or+not.
Photo Taken From AP
This sign is present at the entrance to the Shops at Park Lane in Dallas, Texas. With the lifting of the coronavirus restrictions in Texas, businesses now have the opportunity to make masks a requirement or not.

All over the U.S., more and more states are removing COVID-19 restrictions, giving their citizens the choice whether or not to wear a mask. It still allows businesses to make the choice if masks are required or not. With loads of support for this decision by those that are mainly conservative, there is also a lot of backlash and criticism from those that are liberal. 

Texas and other states have lifted their COVID-19 restrictions and mask mandates in early March. In addition, Alabama announced they intend on ending their mask mandate on April 9. These developments have resulted in President, Joe Biden, calling out how it was unsafe and neanderthal thinking to do so. Dr. Anthony Fauci, America’s top disease expert, has his own criticisms to share on the matter. Fauci believes that the lifting of the restrictions is the wrong move and could put more people at risk.

“Restrictions shouldn’t be lifted in the U.S. until new coronavirus cases fall below 10,000 a day,“ Fauci said. “And maybe even considerably less than that across the country.”

Fauci’s statements about the coronavirus restrictions haven’t deterred the states that already plan on opening and lifting restrictions. Governor Abbott of Texas shared his reasoning for reopening Texas and why he believes it’s beneficial.

“We are just simply doing the things to give our people the power back to do what they think is best for themselves and their families,” Abbott said.

Governor Abbott’s decision gives the people freedom of choice of whether or not they want to wear a mask. His decision still raises criticism from a lot of people around the United States. But the most important voice in this matter would be the state’s residents, as they are the ones affected by this change.

Diego Hernandez, an active participant in local politics and a supporter of small businesses, is a 16-year-old resident in Waco, Texas. He believes that the restriction lift was beneficial to everyone.

“I think Abbott’s decision to remove the mandate is good,” Hernandez said. “It gives people the chance to choose whether or not they want to wear a mask and also gives businesses a choice too. It really appeals to everyone you know since if you don’t want to wear a mask you don’t have to but if you do want to you can.”

As more states plan on removing their restrictions, the debate on whether or not this is truly the way to go has been raging across the country and is causing further divide within the American population as politicians argue over these decisions.