Live Updates: Pro-Trump Mob Breaches Capitol

Photo Taken from The Irish Times
Trump supporters breech the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday. Lawmakers were evacuated and more information continues to unfold.

Today, lawmakers were proceeding to count the electoral votes (which Vice President Pence was to oversee) and make President-elect Joe Biden the official winner of the 2020 election. Encouraged by President Trump, his supporters overwhelmed the police perimeter around the Capitol building where they shattered a window of the building and entered the premises.  

4 p.m. PT

• Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi announces that Congress will resume the electoral vote count later tonight
  • One woman who was reportedly shot inside the Capitol building during the break-in has died

2 p.m. PT

• Trump releases video urging his supporters to return to their homes after Biden tells Trump to end the assault on the Capitol
  • The entire D.C. National Guard has been activated in order to handle the situation

1 p.m. PT

• One person has been shot inside the building (it is currently unclear who the person is)
  • Vice President Pence has been evacuated from the building
  • Other lawmakers have evacuated the building
  • A citywide curfew has been announced to take place Wednesday night from 6 p.m. ET to 6 a.m. ET Thursday morning
  • Trump tweeted “stay peaceful” after supporters had already stormed the building
  • Republican lawmakers have called on Trump to “call off” the mob and move forward with a peaceful power transition
  • Trump’s rally where he refused to concede formed the mob that stormed the Capitol