JV+captain+sophomore+Carson+Olander+shoots+a+free+throw+in+a+game+last+season+against+Madison+High+School.+The+JV+team+had+the+best+record+of+any+basketball+team+at+Sage+this+year.+

JV captain sophomore Carson Olander shoots a free throw in a game last season against Madison High School. The JV team had the best record of any basketball team at Sage this year.

Winter Sports Recap: Basketball

Mar 3, 2020

GIRLS JV BASKETBALL

Climbing the Ranks

Girls JV basketball faces off against Oceanside, huddling up at halftime. The players fought hard but lost 36-40.

When the girls’ basketball tryouts were held in November, there was a surprising lack of students that came to participate. With only enough players to make the varsity and junior varsity teams, the JV team struggled to completely fill their roster. However, undaunted by their setbacks, the JV girls finished with 230 points on the season.

“We definitely had a rough beginning but we improved a lot over the season,” freshman Keertana Sridhar stated. “Everyone was so supportive and we kept motivating each other to get better.”

Under freshman captain Becca Petty, the JV lady bobcats fought hard in every game they played. The team was successful in spirit and determined to win all season. There are definitely improvements that can be made but overall the team is on the right track for next season.

“We’re probably going to work on communication a little more while we’re on the court,” Sridar said, “but next year is gonna be great.”

Now that the season is over, the girls will be moving on to their spring sports but they will be back on the court next year as they continue to display their hard work and determination.

GIRLS VARSITY BASKETBALL

Fighting for a Title

Girls varsity basketball stands for the National Anthem at their Hoopcoming game against Oceanside. The lady bobcats triumphed over their rivals with a score of 50-47.

Dribbling down the court, dodging the defense and making a layup into the opponent’s basket, the lady bobcats did this time and time again throughout the season. They ended the regular season with an overall record of 12-11 and a league record of 5-5. The team made it to the quarter-finals of CIF. After a big win over Pacific Ridge, the lady bobcats lost to Point Loma, knocking them out of the CIF competition.

The girls’ varsity basketball team has been very successful this season, scoring over 1,000 points. Under the leadership of senior team captains Claire Perhach and Sydney Tomenang, the team came very close to a CIF title. Although they fell short, they will be fighting for a CIF title as they shoot for the stars next season. 

BOYS JV BASKETBALL

Leading the Pack

With an overall record of 7-4 and a league record of 4-1, the vicious JV team scored over 700 points over the course of the season. Winning all but one of their home games, the JV bobcats showcased their school spirit.  

“I think the season went really well,” sophomore Caleb McGrath said. “We all got a lot better and had a great time playing together.”

For McGrath, the goal for next year is to enjoy the next season and continue to improve at the sport they love.

“I’m really excited for next season,” McGrath said. “A goal for next season would be to get better and just have fun playing basketball.”

The JV team will continue to show their commitment to the game as well as their Sage Creek pride.

BOYS VARSITY BASKETBALL

Shooting for the Stars

Head coach Brandon Dowdy strategizes with the boys varsity basketball team at halftime during their Hoopcoming game against Oceanside. The Bobcats lost 66-74.

After an exciting season of dribbling, shooting, and praying the ball falls into the net, the boys’ varsity basketball team concluded their season with a league record of 2-8 and an overall record of 7-20. The team may not have won many games this year but the stats were still impressive. 

Over the past season, the varsity players have scored a remarkable 1,371 points, 812 rebounds, and 217 steals. The top five scorers are listed below:

• Jamie Ellenstein (Sr.): 265 points
  • Zach Chandler (Jr.): 214 points
  • Andrew Schmitt (Soph.): 163 points
  • Keyshawn Higgs (Sr.): 153 points
  • Kayden LeMaster (Jr.): 108 points

In addition to these high scorers, the team had 11 double-doubles. In basketball, there are five statistical categories: points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocked shots. A double-double is when a player gets 10 or more points in two of the five statistical categories.

• Jamie Ellenstein (Sr.): 6
  • Keyshawn Higgs (Sr.): 3
  • Aarya Dessai (Jr.): 1
  • Andrew Schmitt (Soph.): 1

Higgs and Ellenstein led the team in rebounds with Higgs tallying 167 rebounds and Ellenstein falling very close behind with 166 rebounds. While Higgs led the team in offensive rebounds with 68 rebounds, Ellenstein led the boys in defensive rebounds with 104 rebounds. Junior Zach Chandler led the team with 39 3-pointers. 

With the seniors graduating, fresh faces are looking to score a spot on the varsity roster next year.