A Withstanding Tradition: Senior Assassins

While many seniors spend much of their first trimester solely focused on finalizing their college applications, college is not the only thing consuming their time. Over 200 students are participating in senior assassins, a long-standing tradition exclusively for the senior class, designed and run by students. The game requires participants to work together, think creatively, and have patience as they seek to be the last team standing.

Photo by Harper Hughes
Floaties can be worn as protection. All floaties must be worn around the waist, arms or legs, not on any other part of the body.

As targets were gradually released on Wednesday, students in teams of two began strategizing on how they would survive, eliminate their targets, and ultimately win the $2,000 cash prize.

“The point of the game is by the time each round ends, which is after every tri, is to get their assigned target out by spraying them with water,” senior Luca Gomez shared.

Although the ultimate goal of the game is to win, the true value behind the game lies in the bond it creates between the senior class.

“I feel like we take it pretty seriously here at Sage and I think it’s pretty cool how we can all come together and make a big game like this work,” senior Tara Stanley stated.

While competitiveness and fierce rivalry drive the game, participation in senior assassins is solely for the memories.

“It’s your last year at Sage so why not just play the game and have some fun,” Gomez added.

Since the game is simply meant to be a lighthearted experience, specific rules are outlined in detail on the “SCHS assassins” website in order for the game to run smoothly.

Photo by Harper Hughes
On purge days, floaties no longer protect students from being eliminated. However, safe zones remain as areas where students cannot be sprayed.

Game coordinator, Luca Gomez, includes, “The game is ultimately based on good faith. The safe zones are school, your work, Costco, practices, and really any school-related events. On purge days, floaties do not work. You can get out or get your target out no matter what.”

Due to many laying-low on purge days, senior Tara Stanley hopes to get her assigned target out through a patient strategy.

“I’m going to figure out what my target’s activities are outside of school,” Stanley included.

As the game continues throughout the remainder of the school year, updates on recent eliminations and upcoming purge days can be found on the SCHS Assassins Instagram.