Girls Golf is Soaring High Like a Birdie

Though some student-athletes dreaded the start of their season, the members of the Sage Creek girl’s golf team almost certainly did not. Although practice and competition awaited them, their team, with whom they had shared so many memories already, awaited them too.

With their season beginning in late August, the team has competed in the Chappy Wheeler Girls Golf Invitational in Palm Springs, friendly matches versus Mission Vista and league matches versus Rancho Buena Vista and Oceanside. The varsity team, under Coach David Walther – who has more than 20 years of golf experience – stands at a 5-3 record. The team will continue the season playing teams from Vista, El Camino and SDA.

Photo by Benzrussel Lopez
Sophomore, Kristian Wilmes takes a bunker shot spraying sand. Wilmes is excited to spend her second year on the Varsity Team in search of a CIF title.

Although the school year has just started, the returning members of the team have already bonded with their new teammates as they spent many hours training and competing together in the summer heat.

“There are three freshmen on the Varsity team, but we are like a family,” senior team member Rachael Wobby stated, “It’s really quick, there’s maybe one week where we’re getting to know each other – and then we’re sisters.”

While the team was searching to find its feet early in the season, many members of the team forged memories that would push them to succeed in later matches and tournaments.

“[My favorite memory] would honestly be playing at Torrey Pines because it was a really pretty course and we won,” senior Brenna Kelley recalled, “Right as we were finishing, there was a really cool sunset.”

A few members of the team also remembered the mistakes that they made during the first few weeks of the season. Instead of regretting them, however, they laughed.

“We went out to play a tournament in Palm Springs – we had a practice round. . . I let go of my golf club and it flew into the middle of a lake,” freshman Joleen Wobby said with a smile across her face.

By supporting each other, the team has created an environment where improvement is prioritized over immediate success.

Photo by Benzrussel Lopez
Varsity Girl’s Golf Coach David Walther instructs three of his athletes how to get out of a bunker. These golfers started off at the sand trap to begin their Wednesday afternoon practice at The Crossings.

“Golf is a game of misses,” Rachael Wobby explained, “if you’re doing really bad one day, your teammate[s] can help you.”

In addition, to support from teammates, individual mental strength and focus have also played a role in helping the team move forward.

“You have to play your own game. Like you can’t play the game that people around you are playing,” Senior Tara Stanley clarified.

By combining hard work, great coaching and perseverance, the Sage Creek golf team has set itself up for success this season. However, the team plays for more than just their record.

“The girls play for each other. That’s our best attribute,” Coach David Walther said.

• K

KaiOct 1, 2019 at 10:44 am

xD commented on the wrong article. Good job Benz, Cooper, and Leo!