Keeping up with the Spring 2019 Fashion Trends

Photo by Chloe Neal
A favorite Spring fashion trend is pairing a patterned tank top with a denim skirt. The pictured outfit is a Brandy Melville tank top, an H&M skirt and an Urban Outfitters fuzzy coat.

Spring has sprung, and while you’re out observing how the once chestnut brown, dry mountains have transformed into a super bloom central, you may also notice that fashion trends are simultaneously changing. Get ready to pack away your old sweatshirts and mom jeans and prepare to pull out some eccentric pieces that fall under the upcoming trends.

From going to school to walking to the beach, you’ll need to have an idea of what trends people are keeping up with.

Patterned tank tops and tee shirts have been the go-to recently. They change any basic outfit with jeans into something more striking. Leopard and cheetah print fall into this category, as well. If you pair one of these prints with a zip-up jacket and jeans, you’ll get a ton of compliments.

Neon colors are also one of the more unexpected trends this Spring. If you wear neon green, hot pink, or electric blue with denim shorts, jeans, or as colors integrated into your swimsuit, you’ll be considered fashionable this Spring.

Flowy floral dresses are also ‘in’ if you’re going for a more moderate look.

For boys, color blocked long-sleeve shirts paired with old-school denim shorts are the way to go.

Despite the association of Spring and Summer always being warm, there are still those cloudy, breezy days that you’ll need to be prepared for.

Photo by Chloe Neal
This is a good go-to outfit to wear on a breezy Spring day. Pictured is a UCLA sweatshirt, paired with denim jeans from Unpublished.
Photo by Chloe Neal
Flowy, patterned mini skirts are the perfect Spring piece to pair with a solid colored tube top.

To stay cozy but still look presentable, you can try pairing a pullover sweatshirt with denim or patterned shorts, or a skirt. Patterned shorts can mean anything from flowy gingham shorts to patterned denim shorts, your choice.

Additionally, try wearing a tank top with a lightweight zip-up sweatshirt paired with jean shorts. Long sleeve shirts with a pair of sweatpants are great, as long as you don’t look like you just rolled out of bed.

You may have seen Maya Grudman pulling off this look, wearing a white top with navy sweatpants, topped off with white stripes going down the side.

Photo by Chloe Neal
Soludos are the perfect way to make your outfit more personalized. These Vogue x Soludos shoes are just one of Soludos’ many eccentric styles sold.

Lightweight bomber jackets and corduroy jackets, to denim and windbreaker jackets, turn a basic boys outfit into something more sophisticated. Hoodies are also a never-ending trend for boys that can be paired with simple or patterned shorts.

As you may have heard or seen through the never-ending Instagram posts, music festival season has just begun. In April, Coachella, a music festival that occurs for only six days total each year took place.

Despite being a place to go for music and desert scenery, the majority are eager to go just for the crazy outfits. Over the span of the two weeks, there have been some incredible outfit sightings.

From Winnie Harlow rocking a red lace crop top paired with ripped jeans and a pair of dusty pink sunglasses, to Virgil Abloh pulling off a tie-dye tee shirt with a chain-like necklace, along with black shorts and chunky purple Off-White shoes, Coachella was practically considered a fashion runway.

Seeing all of these fun outfits at Coachella puts people in a shopping mood. Influencers that attend the music festival put an obscene amount of money and effort into their outfits.

Photo by Chloe Neal
Being a classic pair of shoes that add a finishing touch to your outfit, Air Force Ones are the way to go.

If you’re feeling down about being unable to buy your favorite outfit because it’s too expensive, try downloading the Urban Outfitters app for free. Once you download the app, you can create an account and gain rewards through logging into the app multiple times. You receive $5 off from simply just frequently opening the app.

Another way to solve this problem is to go thrifting. Whether you’re driving to a nearby thrift store, or downloading a buy and resell app like Depop or Mercari, you’ll find a unique assortment of clothing, and although it may take a while to find what you’re looking for, it’s worth it.

You’ll leave with a complete one-of-a-kind outfit that will probably cost you under ten dollars. You can also spice up your thrift store finds by cutting tee shirts, adding patches or even painting the pockets of a pair of denim jeans or a denim jacket.

There are also Instagram accounts revolved around certain influencers or celebrities outfits. They post the brands that each component of their outfit is made up of, and they’re always up to date after spotting an Instagram post or sighting of a celebrity.

They also post “dupes,” clothing items that are similar to celebrities, but from a different brand that’s more affordable.

Photo by Chloe Neal
Complete your look with two ponytails pulled from the front to add a unique essence to your look.

The type of shoes that you wear can make or break your outfit. The current trend of shoes is similar to the wintertime, continuing as chunky shoes with a pop of color.

For example, you may have seen Lauren Sample, a freshman here at Sage Creek, rocking her pink, purple and white colored Air Max 90s around the school. Her shoes are the epitome of this Spring’s killer kicks. Espadrilles are also perfect for this season, adding a nice, light touch to any outfit.

For boys, sneakers are essential. Nike sneakers, crazy colored sneakers and patterned Vans are a must have.

Along with a nice pair of shoes to make your outfit stand out more, you’re going to need some unique accessories.

Photo by Chloe Neal
Scarfs like this are perfect to spice up an average Sring outfit. Pictured is a patterned hair scarf from Anthropologie.

This Spring, hair scarfs, anklets, simple necklaces, elegant rings and bracelets are ‘in’. Boys tend to wear patterned socks, beanies and belts this season. If you pair any outfit with one or two of these pieces, you’ll leave the house looking trendy.

Styling your hair can often be super challenging and time-consuming. Although, there are many easy ways to style your hair quickly and make your look seem effortless. Try adding a scrunchy if you put your hair in a bun, that way it adds a pop of color to your outfit. Ponytails are always the go-to way to style your hair, but try adding a twist to it by incorporating a couple of braids.

If you’d rather avoid styling your hair every single day of the week and want to look bold, you could try dying the tips of your hair pink. “Harper’s Bazaar” claims that adding a playful color to your hair is “a sure trend for spring/summer.”

Now that you have everything you need to know in order to leave the house looking fabulous, I expect you all to show up at school with remarkable outfits.

• C

Charissa FeldmannMay 15, 2019 at 2:19 pm

You slay queen!!!!
    QT
    These trends are on point.
    Def want to try some of them out.

• M

maxMay 15, 2019 at 2:16 pm

lol

AndrewMay 15, 2019 at 1:27 pm

oh my gosh. Just wear a t shirt and jeans. I dont know why an outfit has to be so intricate nowadays. People are so concerned about how they look. Some people are insecure because they cant afford an outfit or how they look.

• S

SkylarMay 15, 2019 at 10:41 am

This is very narrow section of people and mostly just girls. Also this is just what majority of every sophomore girl wears at our school

• D

dukeMay 15, 2019 at 9:34 am

those are some fresh threads my broham