2018 Toronto International Film Festival: What’s being talked about?

This time of the year is festival season. Many different artists from around the globe come to these film festivals to showcase their projects and there are always a few that stand out from the rest. On Sept. 6, the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival premiered many different pieces fabricated from widely-known to small independent filmmakers. A variety of these films will be released in theaters later this year. So sit back, relax and let’s talk about some of the packages that premiered at this year’s festival.

“First Man”

Photo taken from https://www.firstman.com/
Ryan Gosling and Damien Chazelle reunite to tell the journey and life of astronaut Neil Armstrong. Their last collaboration was on the multiple Academy Award-winning film “La La Land.”

Release Date: Oct. 12

Starring: Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy, Jason Clarke and Kyle Chandler

Directed by: Damien Chazelle

Coming off his critical and record-setting 14 Academy Award-nominated film, “La La Land,” director and writer Chazelle reteams with Gosling to tell the story of Neil Armstrong and his journey of becoming the first person to step foot on the moon. The response from critics has been very positive; praising both Chazelle’s direction and Gosling’s performance as Neil Armstrong. There is also a small flag controversy being talked about amongst the people who have seen the film. Many were hoping to see the iconic moment in Neil Armstrong’s journey where he plants the American flag on the moon. Chazelle has stated more recently that they were wanting to highlight the life of Neil rather than the moon landing itself. Besides that, it seems that both Gosling and Chazelle have yet another great film on their hands.

Photo taken from https://www.netflix.com/title/80190859
David Mackenzie and Chris Pine return together to bring a medieval epic to Netflix. Their first collaboration was on “Hell or High Water” in 2016.

“Outlaw King”

Release Date: Nov. 9

Starring: Chris Pine, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Ben Foster

Directed by: David Mackenzie

After their huge success in 2016 with their critically acclaimed film “Hell or High Water,” Pine and Mackenzie return together to tell a historical epic on the tale of Robert the Bruce. Responses have been very mixed, with some criticizing its pacing and direction. The film is set to premiere worldwide on Netflix later this year.

“A Star Is Born” 

Photo taken from http://www.astarisbornmovie.com/
Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga shine bright together in the latest retelling of the classic music story. This was Lady Gaga’s first major feature role and Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut.

Release Date: Oct. 5

Starring: Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga and Sam Elliott

Directed by: Bradley Cooper

Making his directorial debut, Cooper directs and stars in the latest retelling of the classic romantic drama alongside singer Lady Gaga. This marks the third remake of the original 1937 film. At first, Cooper was very nervous about directing but it has been a dream of his since he was a kid, so when the opportunity arose he took it. The film was met with overwhelmingly positive reactions; praising the musical numbers, Cooper’s direction and universal acclaim for Gaga’s performance.

Photo taken from https://www.foxmovies.com/movies/widows
Viola Davis stars alongside an ensemble cast in Steve McQueen’s latest film. Steve’s previous film, “12 Years A Slave,” won Best Picture at the 2014’s Academy Awards.

“Widows”

Release Date: Nov. 6

Starring: Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Kaluuya, Liam Neeson and Colin Farrell

Directed by: Steve McQueen

Almost five years after the critically acclaimed and multiple Academy Award-winning film “12 Years A Slave,” director and writer McQueen returns to the big screen delivering a heist drama based on a 1983 show of the same name while assembling an all-star cast to go with it. Reactions have been very positive, with many praising how surprisingly poignant it is and Kaluuya’s villainous and sinister performance.

“The Old Man and The Gun”

Photo taken from http://www.foxsearchlight.com/theoldmanandthegun/
Robert Redford leads an ensemble cast in David Lowery’s latest film. Robert Redford has made this film to be his last performance before retirement.

Release Date: Sept. 28

Starring: Robert Redford, Casey Affleck, Danny Glover and Sissy Spacek

Directed by: David Lowery

Making this his last performance before retirement, Redford stars in Lowery’s latest drama which tells the true life story of a career criminal and prison escape artist, Forrest Tucker. The film has been met with very positive reactions; many praise Lowery’s direction, Redford’s performance and call it a great send-off to one of the greatest actors of all time.

Photo taken from http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/wildlife
Jake Gyllenhaal and Carey Mulligan star in Paul Dano’s directorial debut. Paul Dano was apart of Steve McQueen’s previous film: “12 Years A Slave.”

“Wildlife”

Release Date: Oct. 19

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Carey Mulligan and Ed Oxenbould

Directed by: Paul Dano

As his directorial debut, Dano directs Gyllenhaal and Mulligan in a drama about a couple’s marriage slowly falling apart. The response has been overwhelmingly positive, many praising it as an excellent debut for Dano and having a career-defining performance for Mulligan.

“Mid90s” 

Photo taken from https://a24films.com/films/mid90s
Jonah Hill makes his directorial debut in this dramatic piece set deep in the 90s. Jonah was the writer of this film as well.

Release Date: Oct. 19

Starring: Sunny Suljic, Lucas Hedges, Katherine Waterston and Jerrod Carmichael

Directed by: Jonah Hill

As many know, actor Jonah Hill has a big comedic background in films such as “Superbad” and “21 Jump Street”. Now, Hill finds himself in directing a dramatic indie piece. Hill’s directorial debut tells the story of a 13-year-old boy named Stevie, spending his summer in 1990s Los Angeles. Navigating through a troubled home life and a group of friends he meets at a skate shop. Reactions have been very positive; many praising Hill’s direction and calling one the of the most heartfelt movies of the year so far.

Photo taken from https://www.beautifulboy.movie/
Timothée Chalamet and Steve Carell star in this true story drama about a boy suffering through a meth addiction. Timothée’s last film was last year’s Academy Award-winning film “Call Me By Your Name.”

“Beautiful Boy”

Release Date: Oct. 12

Starring: Timothée Chalamet, Steve Carell and Amy Ryan

Directed by: Felix Van Groeningen

Coming off his historic Academy Award nomination for “Call Me By Your Name,” Chalamet stars opposite to Carell in this true story drama piece which chronicles around meth addiction and recovery through the eyes of David Sheff while he watches his son struggle with addiction. The film has received mostly positive reactions, praising both Chalamet and Carell’s performances. Here’s what critics are saying about Timothée and Steve’s latest film:

“The detachment at work in ‘Beautiful Boy’ suggests an attempt to speak clearly and truthfully, to resist the clichés of the addiction drama while acknowledging that those clichés can hardly be rewritten.”

Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

“The days when a dramatic performance from Carell was a surprise are long behind us, and his journey in ‘Beautiful Boy’ is a marvelous sensitive, largely quiet tour de force.”

-Steve Pond, The Wrap

“Roma” 

Photo taken from https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/09/roma-is-netflixs-most-compelling-big-screen-argument-yet/570052/
Acclaimed director Alfonso Cuarón comes to deliver a black-and-white drama loosely based on his young life. His last film was “Gravity” which came out five years ago.

Release Date: Dec. 14

Starring: Yalitza Aparicio, Marina de Tavira and Marco Graf

Directed by: Alfonso Cuarón

Four years after his multiple Academy Award-winning film, “Gravity,” Cuarón returns to the director’s chair. His latest piece, which is presented in a black-and-white format, is a semi-biographical drama based on his upbringing in Mexico City and follows the life of a middle-class family and their live-in housekeeper. It has received incredible acclaim and overwhelmingly positive responses; many praising Alfonso’s direction and some calling it masterclass work. Most recently, Alfonso won the Golden Lion for “Roma”, which is the Best Picture award, at the Venice Film Festival on Aug. 30.  

Photo taken from https://www.tiff.net/tiff/the-sisters-brothers/
Joaquin Phoenix, John C. Reilly and Jake Gyllenhaal all star together in Jacques Audiard’s western comedy. John was given huge acclaim for his performance in the film.

“The Sisters Brothers”

Release Date: Sept. 21

Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, John C. Reilly and Jake Gyllenhaal

Directed by: Jacques Audiard

Before taking on the role of The Joker in 2019, Phoenix stars alongside Reilly and Gyllenhaal in a western comedy about two hitmen brothers who are on the hunt for a prospector who has stolen from their boss. It was met with very positive reactions; many praising Audiard’s directions and Reilly’s outstanding performance. Here’s what critics are saying about Jacques’s latest film:

“More than anything, ‘The Sisters Brothers’ is an exploration of how far you can take an anti-Western before it snaps out of the genre’s orbit entirely.”

-Kerry Lengel, Arizona Republic

“It has the painterly visuals of a classic film, but its lead characters are black-hated villains whose road to redemption is mostly motivated by exhaustion rather than guilt.”

-David Sims, The Atlantic

“The Hate U Give”

Photo taken from https://www.foxmovies.com/movies/the-hate-u-give
The widely-popular novel joins the list of books adapted for the big screen. Amandla Stenberg’s first lead role was in last year’s “Everything, Everything.”

Release Date: Oct. 19

Starring: Amandla Stenberg, KJ Apa, Sabrina Carpenter and Anthony Mackie

Directed by: George Tillman Jr.

Based on the Young Adult fiction book that has the same name, the film tells the story of Starr Carter, who lives between two different neighborhoods: the poor and the rich. When faced with pressure, she goes to find her voice and stand up for what’s right. Responses have been outstanding; many praising Stenberg’s performance, thoughtful storytelling and some calling it, “one of the best of the year so far.”

Photo taken from https://www.halloweenmovie.com/
The iconic Michael Myers and Laurie Strode return to bring scares and frights to the big screen. The last time Jamie Lee Curtis played Laurie was in “Halloween: Resurrection” in 2002.

“Halloween”

Release Date: Oct. 19

Starring: Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Greer, and Nick Castle

Directed by: David Gordon Green

After the long hiatus and much anticipation, Michael Myers returns to the big screen in the latest entry in growing “Halloween” franchise. The film is meant to be a sequel to the original, it ignores all other installments that came afterward. Set 40 years after the original, Michael Myers returns to get his long-planned revenge against his greatest foe: Laurie Strode. Curtis returns to play the iconic Laurie Strode under the direction of Green, who has previously directed films such as “Pineapple Express” and “Stronger.” It has been met with amazing reactions; many praising Curtis’ lead performance and many calling it the best since the original.

There are many different forms of art that are coming out later this year. Some have gotten tremendous praise, major Oscar buzz or universal acclaim. There was also a lot, particularly “The Predator” and “The Front Runner,” that have had very mixed responses coming out of the festival. I am personally looking forward to all of these projects; most notably “A Star Is Born,” “First Man,” “Wildlife” and “Roma.”

Let me know in the comments what projects coming out of the Toronto International Film Festival you are most looking forward to.