Defying Gravity Gala 2018 Photo Gallery

• The Sage Creek Dance Company performs a contemporary piece in the new Performing Arts Center (PAC) at the Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Gala on Friday. The dancers leapt across the stage, showing their finesse at their first event of the year.

• The performing arts center at Sage Creek showcase their jazz band in their debut performing the song “Fly Me By the Moon” by Frank Sinatra. The saxophonist, Ethan Hardy, lead the other musicians in their composition.

• The VAPA teachers, who made the Gala possible, stand on stage to commemorate students for putting on the first PAC show of the year. All of the branches of VAPA at Sage Creek worked together to put on the Gala that helped raise money for the VAPA department.

• Cupcakes, chocolate dipped strawberries, cookies and other desserts were the options for VIPs to enjoy before the performance. Students were allowed to purchase VIP tickets to have access to this buffet and specialty drinks before the show.

• The Gala showcases multiple forms of art that aren’t always performances; some examples include optical illusion art, fluid acrylic paintings, polychromatic geodes, suspended geometric forms and digital light paintings. Art 1 created op art and showed their creativity in complex, eye-catching designs that were displayed in front of the PAC during the Gala.

• These sculptures on display at the Gala, show different types of art and were on sale to raise money for the VAPA program. Students were able to volunteer to help create and set up these LED light and wood sculptures over the summer.

• A raffle is held to help fund VAPA students at the Gala. Everything from spa packages to juju jitsu lessons were available for bidding.

• During the final performance of the Gala, Avalon Call, Sarah Ewers, Elaina Davis, Priya Richard, SC Choir, Orchestra and SC Dance Company put on a show to the song “Defying Gravity” from the musical Wicked. The performers put out their best effort to end the Gala with a bang.