How to Decorate Your Graduation Cap

The time is quickly approaching: graduation season. Similar to prom preparation, graduation takes just as much time and effort to get ready for the big day. Below is everything and anything you need to know about how to decorate your graduation cap. This guide will take you step by step to creating the graduation cap that best reflects your personality, your high school experience and your future!

For those of us who do not have much artistic abilities check out Tassel Toppers and Zazzle for graduation cap custom toppers! And remember, graduation caps will be decorated during the Senior Breakfast at the Lux Art Museum on June 13. Supplies will NOT be provided! In the steps below we will be showing you how to decorate a Graduation Cap in reference to one of my favorite childhood cartoons, Spongebob Squarepants.

Step 1)
Always begin with a plan. Research ideas for cap designs beforehand. What do you want to portray? Your future University? Or do you want to do the classic Meme Cap? How about a quote from your favorite movie? Either way, sit down and trace out how you want your cap to look like.

Step 2)
Plug in the hot glue gun and put it out of the way. Gather your supplies and graduation cap. Lay your background paper face down and lay your cap over it. Trace the cap outline onto the background paper and cut the paper to fit the cap. Cut a hole for the tassel button.

Step 3)
Grab that glue gun, put the cap to the side and turn the background paper right side up to begin adding details! Using your rough draft as a guide, add gems, stickers, letters and any other decorations you may want for your graduation cap.

Step 4)
Now grab the actual cap that you put to the side and carefully glue your decor to the top, making sure that the tassel button is still shown. Smooth out the edges and tuck underneath the cap edge for a seamless fit.

Once again, caps will be decorated on June 13 during the Senior Breakfast at the Lux Museum and make sure to bring your own supplies! Check out Pinterest for some other creative ideas.

• A

Andrew CovielloMay 29, 2018 at 1:20 pm

Me, being controversial: I actually like a plain cap

• C

Charlie LewisMay 29, 2018 at 12:21 pm

When will graduation caps be handed out? I would like to decorate mine, but will not be going to the senior breakfast.