An Open Letter From a Senior: What Makes a True Leader

Photo taken from Wikimedia Commons

Selflessness, passion and the willingness to change their community.

These traits are fundamental to becoming not only a great student leader but a great leader in general. High school “politics” usually boil down to a battle of egos, two popular students battling for the top spot. These popularity contests have construed the full potential of what it means to be a representative of the people. Instead of encouraging selfless actions and the spur of change, high school elections focus on self-centered egos rather than furthering the goal of the student body.

Throughout my four years here at Sage Creek, I have witnessed enough to definitively say that we as a whole lack strong leaders. Not the star student, Champion Bobcat poster children, but the good-hearted and the selfless, seeking not the position for college applications but to fulfill their roles as a representative of the people and the people alone.

I cannot stress enough how important the voice of the individual is and its meaning to not only this school but its future generations. A good president does not constrain oneself to an office or the confines of their friend group; they seek the respect of all students, to hear everyone’s voice, not only that of a few.

No one wins an election. They are elected, and to be elected is to be the ultimate honor of holding everyone’s trust near and dear to one’s heart. It is a burden not many can hold, it is a burden many pawn off as “just high school,” and it is a burden that one must bear on their shoulders and their shoulders alone.

Sage Creek needs leaders. It needs the common student to rise above the occasion and demand change, to demand that their fellow students rise with them and define what it means to be a Bobcat.

Freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors all have a paramount duty to build the backbone of what it means to be a citizen of the Bobcat Nation. Without the guiding hand of those willing to dedicate the countless hours and the long nights, the purpose is lost.

To the future leaders of this school, carry with you the burden of your fellow student. Know humility and know that this position is not all powerful, know that you are no more than just another student in the crowd. Do not be selective, poll the populace, encourage discussion, do not hide behind “I want to make next year fun,” find it within you to build those foundations of trust. Do not be afraid to make your voice heard, and do not be afraid to stand up for what is right.

It is your job to represent and serve these students and guide them to new horizons, to emulate the feeling of community and republic.