Five News Stories You Need to Know This Week

Courtesy of CNBC
California Scorched By Wildfires
  1. Just this Sunday, a gunman opened fire in a church located near San Antonio, Texas. At this point, 26 were slain, but many more were left permanently scarred. The identification of the gunman, as well as his motives for the massacre, are still unknown.
  2. Paul Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign manager, was indicted on Oct. 30 on charges that he funneled millions of dollars through overseas shell companies to purchase luxury commodities, including cars, real estate, antiques, and expensive clothing.
  3. Spain’s Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, fired the government of Catalonia on Oct. 27 after its attempt to separate from Spain, dissolved its regional parliament, and ordered new elections. This resulted from decades of Catalonia pushing for a sovereign nation, and it was only recently when Catalonia made any significant action. This was a direct violation of Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution, however, which outlined Catalonia’s subservience to Spain.
    The showdown escalated the biggest political crisis in decades to hit Spain, which is just emerging from a prolonged economic malaise. Catalonia is a critical part of the economy in Spain, the fifth largest in Europe.
  4. After decades of anticipation, President Trump mandated a release of more than 2,800 documents related to the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, thirty-fifth president of the United States, on Oct.26. After requests from the C.I.A. and F.B.I., Trump agreed to release only small portions of the documents and hold off on the more sensitive material for six months as the documents undergo more review.
  5. With 65 million singles sold and 23 gold records, Rhythm and Blues singing legend Fats Domino— known for smash hits, such as “Ain’t That a Shame”— died on Tuesday in his home in Harvey, Louisiana. He was 89.

• A

Andrew CovielloNov 7, 2017 at 9:13 am

On the Texas shooting, the shooter was a white male. He was ANTIFA-borne, motivated, and fled the scene after the shooting because one armed churchgoer began shooting back at him. Then, a nearby Texan chased him through the streets for miles by car and the shooter exchanged fire with yet another armed Texan during the chase. Then, in a final attempt at escape, the shooter’s car fell over into a ditch and the Texan as well as the neighbor ordered him out of his car, only to find that he had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

• C

Carter PetersonNov 7, 2017 at 7:41 am

Do you know who Stephen Willeford is? Write about that.

• D

DonaldNov 6, 2017 at 10:13 pm

In addition, I wish Ed Gillespie the best of luck on Tuesday in Virginia. I hope the the Republicans can take control over the state again after the Democrats ran the state’s economy into the ground.

• D

DonaldNov 7, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Look like I was wrong…

• D

DonaldNov 6, 2017 at 10:03 pm

“Paul Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign manager, was indicted on Oct. 30 on charges that he funneled millions of dollars through overseas shell companies to purchase luxury commodities, including cars, real estate, antiques, and expensive clothing.”

You are not going to talk about the new scandals discovered with Hillary and Russia?

• M

Maxwell YangNov 7, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Worry not. We’ll cover fresher news stories soon, “Donald!”

• D

DonaldNov 7, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Why don’t you also cover the fact that Syria just signed the Paris Climate Accord?

• D

DonaldNov 7, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Maybe you should also talk about how the Republicans got destroyed in the elections today in Virginia and New Jersey. So much for the Republican Uprising…

• D

Darius RahmanianNov 6, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Well written and to the point, here is my two cents on the Catalonia Independence Movement

A guy loves a country going for independence every once in awhile, but yeah Spain has been unified for a very long time now. To simply just leave without forcing yourself out wont work. Catalonia has the largest economy in all of Spain, and with Madrid’s economic issues and the growing debt, do you really think they would just let them walk out? Just some food for thought.