Rules of the Parking Lot

Robert Berarducci
View of the parking lots from the 3rd story.

There are a few discrepancies that take place in the school parking lot everyday. Campus supervisors Rhonda Thomas and Ilene Dominguez share their ideas on the regulations of the parking lot. Here is the compiled list students should be aware of,  what is allowed and what is prohibited in the school parking lot.

Do’s  

1. Follow the rules posted on the swing arm metal gate at the entrance to the parking lot.
  2. Park in the upper lot if you have paid and have the pass hanging in your window.
  3. You must pay attention to where the cones are and follow the path they lead you in.

Dont’s

1. Refrain from parking in the upper lot unless you have a parking pass, which is $30 and is only distributed to seniors.
  2. Loitering in a  car before or after school, this includes during off-role periods, is strictly forbidden.  Students are expected to be off campus during this time or in the library.
  3. Skateboarding, scootering, rollerblading,  and biking are not allowed at any time in the parking lot. The parking lot is considered school property not public property, therefore regulations regarding such acts must be followed.
  4. No one is allowed on campus during the weekend unless there is a school event taking place and permission was granted.

Although these rules are not widely known throughout the student body they are all clearly listed in the student handbook.  

“The rules come from the school board and the district, we strictly enforce them,” Thomas said.   

Senior Sofie Troya  has been driving to school for two years.

“We should have a more organized way that the parking lot is set up. So we avoid traffic, there should be two exits I wait 15 minutes for traffic to clear,” Troya said, “It gets hectic down there, I often go straight to my car after school and wait about 15 minutes before I can even leave the parking lot. If there were two exits students would be able to leave a lot quicker”.

The supervisors will give students warnings the first few times and then the student may be subject to disciplinary action. This includes getting the object confiscated as it is not prohibited on school grounds. Students can pick the object up after school. If a student gets the object taken away multiple times the object will be held as long as administration sees fit.  Parents may also be notified and in extreme cases a parent may need to pick up the detained object.

One of the new campus supervisors, Dan DeLeon, states “Most kids follow[the rules]. We had an issue early on in the year regarding skateboarding, but when it’s an empty parking lot I personally don’t mind the kids skating. As more cars come and go I will enforce the rule”.

DeLeon recognises the concern for safety, he also understands that  ‘kids need to unwind’ just like everyone else after a long school day.

Students please read and follow the rules listed above in order to avoid any misunderstandings.