ASB Uses Pink Out Pep Rally to Kick Off the Year

Photography by Bailey Daynes
Junior students in the first few rows celebrate winning a round in the object competition.

To kickoff the 2017-2018 school year, Sage Creek’s first pep rally was a “Pink Out” in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

The pep rally included a band performance of the national anthem, a speech by senior Aleksander Bejarano recounting his family experience with breast cancer, a game for class cup points, announcements for the fall formal and the flag football tournament, and to end it all, the freshmen heard their candidates’ speeches.  

The SCHS band started off the pep rally with a performance of the national anthem, which set a promising mood for the rest of assembly. After the national anthem, the dance company performed as well. Senior Chloe Easterbrook, a member of the dance company, revealed that a lot of hard work went into this performance.

“I had a bunch of after school and during school practices,” Easterbrook stated as she rushed to join the rest of her teammates to rehearse.

Bejarano then moved the audience by speaking out about the hardships his family had gone through when his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. He discussed how difficult it was at times, but in the end, they were all able to persevere through it.

Bejarano also told students about how he joins his mom in reaching out to other cancer patients.

“I haven’t really talked about it with many other people before; it’s just a cool thing I wanted to do,” Bejarano said.

Following the speech, ASB went directly into a scavenger hunt where all grades participated. During the game, students were on edge waiting for the announcement of the next item that would need to be found. In the end, seniors pulled through and won the game, giving them additional points for the class cup.

Senior ASB member Ann Fulton announced that what used be called the “Student Store” is now called “Bobshop” and will be open daily to sell Fall Formal tickets.

The announcement of the annual flag football game started off with a bang. As senior Kevin Cooke was talking to the school, the lights went out and an ominous video popped up on the screens in the front. After math teacher Jeff Simon promised to defeat student teams, the student teams engaged in a game where the winning team received a bye in the first round of flag football.

“Easy Dubs,” the winning team, advanced to the second round immediately.

After the upperclassmen left the gym, freshmen stayed to listen to their candidates’ speeches. The following freshmen were elected to their class council:

President: Nolan Mejia

Vice-President: Morgan Mayorga

Secretary: Daniel Hong

Treasurer: Paola Gonzalez