“Hogwarts Legacy” Takes A Deep Descendo Into The Wizarding World

Photo from Trusted Reviews. Photo by Ryan Jones. Licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0.
The “Hogwarts Legacy” promotional poster portrays an unidentified wizard/witch standing atop a cliff and looking over the vast landscape the game has to offer. It is likely spring or summertime with the flourishing greenery surrounding the school.

After four and a half years of development and the formation of an extremely eager fan base, “Hogwarts Legacy” by Avalanche Studios and Portkey Games was released on Feb. 10 (Feb. 7 for early accessors) for Xbox Series X/S, Playstation 5 and Steam. A later release date of July 25 is reserved for last-gen and Nintendo Switch consoles. 

The game delivered, both mechanically and nostalgically, in all the senses fans were hoping for. Though, after having received many controversies due to ties with the universe’s creator, many ponder whether they will choose to support the game.

A gamer holds his controller whilst viewing sunrise atop his wizard’s broom. The current graphic settings are currently favoring fidelity to get the most of the daily event. (Photo by Noah Kopman)

“Hogwarts Legacy” stems from the iconic movie franchise “Harry Potter” and is arguably the first game adaptation to fully take advantage of what the universe has to offer digitally. This means it has improved in combat, Non-Player Character (NPC) interactions, Hogwarts class activities and exploration most notably with the player equipped with both a broom and a flying mount. 

Aside from this, the game manages to further alter the narrative as it takes place in a mid-1800s England and, for the first time in a wizarding world video game, excludes iconic characters from the Harry Potter franchise.

Travis Northup, an active writer for the entertainment review website IGN, reflects on how “Hogwarts Legacy” has surpassed previous wizarding world entries.

“We’ve gotten some respectable LEGO Potter games, an underwhelming EA Sports Quidditch, and even suffered through the fevered nightmare that is Harry Potter Kinect,” Northup said. “But none of these has come close to fulfilling that fantasy of receiving a Hogwarts admission letter that opens the door to a secret world.”

Although “Hogwarts Legacy” already has tons of quests, classes and enemy camps to keep users busy, nothing tops the amount of blood, sweat and tears spent in the utterly time-consuming Sims/designer-mobile-game-inspired Room of Requirement. Whether brewing potions, producing fertilizer and harvesting plants for battle, going full designer on the room’s ambience and decorations or grooming and feeding captured fantastic beasts in the vivarium unlocked later in the game, this ever-growing room will surely be responsible for at least 15 hours of playtime. 

Though many open world role-playing games (RPGs) such as “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” and “Elden Ring” favor the method of a solo adventure, “Hogwarts Legacy” incorporates various side characters that play a substantial role in progressing as a wizard/witch. Some examples include: mentor Professor Fig who assists in revealing more about the schools past; Poppy Sweeting, a Hufflepuff who introduces the player to various beasts such as the Hippogryph, Highwing; or Slytherin Sebastian Sallow, whose questline may lead a wizard/witch down the darker path.

“Hogwarts Legacy”’s gear customization screen also gives the player knowledge of their health, defense and offense stats that come with their selected gear. (Holden Kopman)

Senior Jebediah Smith shares the aspects of the game he enjoys, despite its scandalous history.

“It’s a great game, but I can’t achieve the best visual experience because my computer’s graphics are kind of ‘do do,’” Smith said. “I have a strong opinion on the controversies surrounding the game, so much so I was willing to return it, but in the end I decided against it. The best part about the game for me are the broom and magic mechanics.”

Surrounding its release, “Hogwarts Legacy” received major backlash from members of or those who support the LGBTQ community. This was because of statements against the belief system behind being transgender made by the creator of the “Harry Potter” books, JK Rowling, despite her lack of involvement in the game’s creation. Soon after, content creators who chose to stream the game on Twitch, were allegedly “canceled” for supporting a “transphobic” game. 

Yet, this did not stop many from enjoying the game; not particularly as a sign of disrespect towards the community, but because of how long-awaited a Potter game with this depth was.

In all the ways imaginable, fans have finally been able to experience the journey into the wizarding world as never seen before in animation. The feeling of creating a wizard or witch, being placed into a house via the classic sorting hat and customizing a wand only add on to the experience of living inside this vast and iconic world, perfectly encapsulating the feeling that has been so desperately awaited.  

“It’s certainly weighed down by technical issues, a lackluster main story, and some poor enemy variety, but even those couldn’t come close to breaking its enchanting spell over me,” Northup concluded.

Rating: 9.6/10

• O

okMar 8, 2023 at 12:11 pm

ok

• W

Wizard From Clash of ClansFeb 24, 2023 at 9:38 am

Fireball!