Gold Rush Club Sends Love to Cancer Patients with Cards and Pots of Gold

Photo by Kayley Teagle
Students came to room 1203, willing and happy to help make cards for the foundation. They all gathered to show off their hard work on their cards.

From Oct 11 to Oct 15, new and old clubs gathered in the grassy area in front of the library during lunch. One club, in particular, caught the attention of a lot of people: the addition of Gold Rush Club. 

The Gold Rush club is run by two juniors. The friendly faces of Natalia Fanucchi and Ava Vogel may be familiar around campus. The goal of the club is to have members write encouraging cards to send to cancer patients or their families. 

This club didn’t come from wanting community service hours or looking good for college applications, it was sparked by the impact of their friend.

Gold Rush Club is set up during Club Rush on the grassy area in front of the library. Many members surround the table during lunch to recruit new students for the school year. (Photo Courtesy of Isabella Bernabeo)

“In kindergarten [my best friend and I] , who is also the other president of the club, [lost one] of our friends…from cancer,” Vogel said. 

After reminiscing over fond memories of their late friend, the girls reconnected with the mom of their friend. In hopes of educating the Bobcat community about childhood cancer and the toll it takes on them both mentally and physically.

Gold Rush club is working with the Gold Rush Cure Foundation, a nonprofit organization, all the way from Laguna Niguel, California. As well as running the organization, they also have a podcast where they interview some of their surviving cancer patients. 

“Children with cancer endure many unique challenges and adjustments but can be very resilient,” according to cancercare.org. 

This resilience doesn’t come easy, however, they are encouraged with a little help from amazing committed students on campus at Sage. More awareness on childhood cancer is important and it’s awesome to see students on our campus initiate a club for those struggling with it.

The isolation can be intimidating. Especially with hours of chemo and radiation. Hours of chemotherapy and radiation cause isolation and often intimidate patients, making for an even more profound call to action. 

“Getting a card or a little bracelet from us and having somebody walk in and have a conversation with them makes their day,” Vogel said. 

One of the ways they are working with the Gold Rush Cure Foundation is by getting creative with their resources. 

“Basically, the president of the organization is sending [them] monogrammed cards and…we’re also gonna start buying crafts from Michaels,” Vogel said.

A card example made by the Gold Rush Cure foundation was sent to Sage Creek’s club. The foundation provides materials to set the standard for future projects. (Photo by Kayley Teagle)

That being said, that is one of the ways a caring Bobcat can help show their support. Another would be showing up and participating in their club meetings and spreading the word, telling your friends and family.

Gold Rush Club meets every other Wednesday in Dominic Manente’s room, 1203. They held their first meeting Wednesday, October 27. With their presidents figuring out and adjusting to their new role on campus.

Swarms of students gathered in room 1203 once the lunch bell rang. Co-Presidents adapting to their new leadership role explained the goal of the club, and their expectations for the cards made for the cancer patients. 

Member Taryn Stivers shared that she joined the club to make cards and help cancer patients feel supported. 

“So they know they have…a whole team behind them,” Stivers said.

With the club just being started by juniors, members of the Bobcat community hope to see the club continue. It is an important cause and deserves the support to blossom into an amazing, empowering experience for both the members and more importantly the cancer patients. 

“I hope to see…more people join next year and…maybe someone to [pick it up] and keep it going,” Stivers said.

If Bobcats are looking for a new club to join, new friends, or a great cause, Gold Rush Club is the place to go. All it takes is a short walk to room 1203. 

“We just wanted to see more smiles,” Vogel said.