Photo Courtesy of John Lewis

John Lewis poses for a military photo. Lewis served in the military for 20 years from 1954-1974.

John Lewis

Lewis poses for a military photo. Lewis served in the military for 20 years from 1954-1974.

Name: John Lewis

Age: 87

Period of Service: 1954-1974

Branch: Navy

Occupation: Naval Aviator, specially trained in submarine warfare. 

Deployment locations: Kodiak, Alaska, Pensacola, Virginia, Washington D.C.

What made you join the military?

“I got sick and tired of school,” Lewis said. 

He was no longer interested in college where he attended for two years and he was given the option to take flight training which turned out to be the best decision he had ever made.

Lewis stands with his team in front of an airplane. Lewis held the title of a naval aviator during his service. (Photo Courtesy of John Lewis)

What impact has your service had on you?

The biggest thing is that Lewis was able to make a living out of his service.

“I would do it all over again if called upon,” Lewis shared. 

What is your best memory, or most memorable experience while serving?

The experience that stood out the most was when Lewis went face to  face with Russian submarines after detecting them during the Cuban crisis. Lewis got them to resurface and turn back around before starting WWIII.

The Sage • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in