Upcoming ASB Events

ASB aims to always keep the students of Sage Creek on their toes with new events and dances. 

With the Austrian exchange program starting up, blood drives and prom coming up around the corner, ASB is busy picking the right date and the right venue in order to set up these events. 

Last year, the opportunity for Sage Creek to host Austrian students was presented. This was not only a chance for Austrian students to learn about America but it gives the students of Sage Creek a chance to learn more about students our age from a different country.  Sage Creek has received between 20-30 students within the past two years. 

The Austrian Exchange Students were welcomed to the school on February 20 and are with us until Friday, March 6. This amazing opportunity gives everyone involved an amazing chance to learn about each other’s culture and history.

“We jumped at the opportunity,” ASB president Cierra Healy said. 

Not only does this benefit the exchange students by showing them what a day is like in America, but they also get to try different foods and see how cities or homes in the United States differentiate from theirs. 

But the Austrian students aren’t the only ones learning.  

We get “an opportunity to learn about Austrian Culture and Customs,” ASB director Valerie Tapia said. 

With such cultural differences between Austrian citizens and American citizens, Sage Creek students are able to ask questions about life living in Austria to exchange students and understand Austrian culture more. 

When it comes to ASB and their planning schedules, handling multiple events at once is their specialty. About three times a year ASB holds a blood drive. The blood donated is then sent to different hospitals across the U.S. 

ASB holds three blood drives, and the biomed program holds one in December. ASB spaces them out throughout the year so biomed can still hold one once a year. 

ASB held its second blood drive on Thursday, February 27. The blood gets donated to different hospitals around the US.

“We have our last drive on May 21,” said Tapia. 

The blood drive is a great fundraiser for the school. Last year, Sage Creek was able to donate 78 units of blood, raising $860 for the school. 

Those who donate blood are not only saving a life, but also are earning money for Sage Creek.  

“…they also offer a monetary donation to approved vendors that ASB selects,” said Tapia. The money from the blood drives can be used for dances such as prom. 

Although May seems like months away, prom will come around quicker than one may think. 

Prom is a big deal for a lot of people. For those who want to start planning now, here are a couple of details. 

“It’s in downtown San Diego, May 30, 7-11 p.m.,” said Healy. 

The theme and the location will be revealed closer to the prom date, sometime in April. 

But don’t worry – you still have plenty of time to think of the perfect promposal for that special person!