Why PUBG Is Better Than Fortnite In Every Way

The two biggest battle royale-genre games, PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS and Fortnite Battle Royale.
Photo taken from Fortnite Battle Royale
A brave user launches into battle with an overpowered pump shotgun and a fully upgraded BattlePass skin. Every few months Fortnite updates their game with a new season, adding in skins, dances, and updates to the map.

There are 100 players and only one spot at the top.

The “battle royale” genre has seen multiple resurgences in popularity throughout the past few decades, meeting critical acclaim every time it is reborn. The eponymous Japanese movie debut in 2000 was relatively successful, earning an 87% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.7/10 on IMDb, and 81% on Metacritic. Fast forward eight years to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, which was immensely more popular and spawned two more novels in the trilogy as well as an entire movie franchise. The Hunger Games brought the genre of battle royale outside Japan and to the rest of the world. 

Battle Royale made its third major comeback not too long ago. You probably know it in the form of two games: “PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS” (PUBG) and “Fortnite Battle Royale.” You have probably heard the latter name being tossed around a lot more than the former, especially since the publishing of Justin Storrs’ Fortnite-based articles. There are two main reasons as to why Fortnite Battle Royale is a lot more popular than PUBG: there’s no pay barrier to try the game, and its cartoony, fantasy art style draws in younger players while still being approachable to older communities.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better. 

Contrary to our beloved Justin Storrs’ opinion, we believe that PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is the superior battle royale game in nearly all aspects. Here’s why.

Let’s start with arguably the most important part of any battle royale game: Gunplay.

PUBG’s gun mechanics are almost ArmA-level realistic; the recoil, bullet velocity, travel time, and ballistic drop all add variables that must be taken into account when trying to eliminate other players. Fortnite, in contrast, doesn’t even have an iron-sights mechanic unless the player is using a scoped weapon. Most weapons are hits-can, with only a handful of weapons using bullet physics. The gunplay is clearly designed to be approachable and understandable for children, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing unless you’re actually good at shooters and desire an outlet for challenging engaging gameplay.

PUBG has also been developed with much more lifelike graphics and lighting effects in mind. It attempts to recreate the look of the real world through texturing and lighting effects, making it not only more visually pleasing to us, but also makes for a much more competitive game arena due to the ability of camouflage. Fortnite, on the other hand, has an oversaturated, cartoony art style that oversimplifies the gameplay and diminishes the competitive nature of the game. Fortnite’s only form of camouflage? A wearable bush.

Any competitive shooter, especially one with permanent death, needs to be in the first person, where the camera is in the place of the character’s eyes. PUBG offers both first and third person and even allows players to change between both views freely in some instances. Fortnite is a third person only, where the camera follows the character from behind. And while this may seem like simply a matter of personal preference, the camera choice in a competitive game makes a quintessential impact on the game for one big reason: peeking around corners.

It’s a simple concept: in a first-person game, one cannot see around a corner without exposing themselves to whatever is around that corner, but in a third person game, they can. This means that someone can sit behind a wall in the third person and see everything over that wall, or at the top of a stairwell peeking down while behind cover, or a multitude of other situations and scenarios where one can see their enemies without their enemies being able to see them. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that this is inherently unfair, but Justin Storrs doesn’t seem to care. . .

All competitive games rely on proper pacing to be enjoyable and fair, and although both games have similar map restriction systems, there are two elements to game pacing that PUBG clearly takes the gold for.

Due to the much larger nature of PUBG’s maps compared to Fortnite’s, getting around can be quite the task, especially when outrunning the blue zone that constantly encroaches on one’s position and inflicts increasing amounts of damage on players the smaller it gets. However, players are given a fighting chance with the multitude of cars, boats, motorcycles, and other vehicles present in the game. These add a whole new layer of gameplay to the game, presenting the player with choices they have to make when they encounter one. They are definitely noisy, easily visible, and large targets, but they also could zip you past enemies before they can kill you and will definitely save your life when trying to outrun the zone. 

All competitive games rely on proper pacing to be enjoyable and fair

Fortnite has a mechanic not present in PUBG: building. The player can gather resources to construct their own cover, structures, and anything else desired. So how can PUBG be better than fortnite in a category it has no mechanic for? Because a building mechanic in a competitive battle royale shooter is inherently bad. It allows the player to position themselves poorly and get away with it. Someone plays it smart and sits at the top of the hill looking down on a valley in PUBG? Chances are they’re the ones getting the kills on anyone foolish enough to step into that valley. Someone does the same thing in Fortnite? The idiot that walked into a natural trap crafted by the map geometry just builds himself a tower to not only give himself cover from the fire but also to raise his elevation to take away the high ground advantage the man on the hill has. It gives players with a bad game sense a way to get away with it, severely lowering the skill cap of the game, an objectively negative concept in any competitive shooter.

Log onto PUBG and you’re greeted with the matchmaking system, lobby system, and an image of your character. Log onto Fortnite, and you’re bombarded with ads for every microtransaction available in the game. Many Fortnite players argue that Fortnite offers a wide variety of cosmetics for players to enjoy and express their own personal style in-game, but what they often fail to take into account is that PUBG also has its own cosmetics system. In addition, cosmetics in Fortnite are only able to be purchased with “V-bucks,” which can only be obtained by exchanging actual money or by purchasing the original “Save the World” player-versus-environment version of the game, which costs $40. PUBG, on the other hand, allows players to earn “Battle Points” for free. Battle Points are earned every game, and the amount depends on how many people were left when (if) you died, how much damage you dealt, and how many players you eliminated. They are then exchanged for crates that yield random cosmetic items of varying rarity and price. Yes, you can sell PUBG cosmetics on the Steam Marketplace; common items can cost as low as five cents, while an exceedingly rare pair of “hotpants” can go for just under $80. Although some crates do require keys that cost real money in order to be opened, there are still a large number of crates that can be opened for free.

We could go on and on with these reasons as to why PUBG is objectively better than Fortnite in every way, but the fact of the matter is, PUBG is worth it. No other game offers a frying pan melee weapon that will protect one’s buttocks from bullets and gives out free figurative chicken dinners to its winners.

Good luck brothers and sisters, and may each of you become winner winners of chicken dinners.

• X

Xu ZhangMay 3, 2019 at 2:07 pm

The best Battle Royale game is…..

Diep.io Survival Mode

Alex CojocaruOct 11, 2018 at 8:12 am

Minecraft hunger games is the best battle royale game by far.

Austin AdkinsOct 11, 2018 at 8:07 am

The new skull trooper skin is super cool. Who else got it. I did and spent all my vbucks but it was totally worth it.

• S

Shervin BahmanpourOct 10, 2018 at 12:33 pm

PUBG is trash Fortnite is clearly better in terms of graphics

• L

Lakin WelchOct 10, 2018 at 12:27 pm

FORTNITE IS THE BEST

AakashSep 21, 2018 at 7:23 am

You fail to mention a multitude of aspects regarding both the playstyle and mechanics of each individual game.

Firstly, you state that both PUBG and Fortnite are competitive shooters. This is straight up wrong. Fortnite was created with the intention of a casual player basis, and while I don’t agree with it, you can see this in the regression of the skill gap. Furthermore, if you are to describe PUBG as a competitive shooter, you must disregard its superior graphics, and focus on optimization. I think you know where the reward lies in terms of optimization. Thirdly, you failed to mention that when all players are in third person, they are subsequently on an even playing field.

This last point is subjective, so take it as you may, but PUBG is not creative. The building in Fortnite is the reason the game sprung forth as an exemplary game within its genre.
    I hope you take these points into account, because the article as of right now is riddled with flaws.

• E

Evan MaxwellSep 13, 2018 at 6:25 pm

You said it is less competitive because it was less realistic, compare the number of fortnite tournaments to the number of pubg tournaments. You keep saying pubg is better because it is realalistic but fortnite is fun because it is not realistic and you can do dumb stuff. I play both games and they are both fun for different reasons. I like battlegrounds for the realistic gameplay and I like fortnite for the dumb stuff you can do and the building aspect.

• D

Darius RahmanianSep 17, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Hey previous Senior here who worked with Jake and Maxwell, just letting you know they won’t see this comment, they wrote this article as a troll to get views. Those two literally play both Fortnite and PUBG, you have been pranked my good sir, its all for the views…

• T

Tom RobinsonJun 7, 2018 at 9:50 am

How about we enjoy both games?

Alex EstesJun 7, 2018 at 9:47 am

Great article, but fantasizing about Nazi Germany at the last paragraph was a little much…

• R

Robert BerarducciJun 7, 2018 at 8:11 am

Honestly your point about bad positioning is absolutely wrong. The positioning in fortnite is more important than in PubG, if i get caught out of position slightly then i get built on and messed up real quick. In fortnite there’s layers to the gameplay, just like onions and ogres. You must be aware of your building situation and your guns/ ammo/ gun positioning in inventory. There are so many more mechanics present in Fortnite that allow for faster, more intuitive gameplay, free of glitches and hacks. You’re also completely brushing over the shopping carts. The shopping carts are much better than cars or boats, no questions asked. Overall Fortnite is more appealing, as shown by their player count and the amount of trickshot and clutch play videos present on every social media and streaming site. Get Rekt Kid Ur Jus SAlty ThAt U sUcCC aT ForTnie ANd too SlOw TO PayAteention To ur BuildiNG GetGodD KID>!!

• S

Shaya HoseiniJun 6, 2018 at 9:44 am

I feel as though this article was created for the deliberate purpose of sparking controversy

• R

Robert BerarducciJun 7, 2018 at 8:06 am

They LITERALLY wrote this article to increase the amount of views on the Sage.

Justin MildenbergerJun 6, 2018 at 9:12 am

WRONG

John WickJun 5, 2018 at 12:08 pm

PUB G is trash and this sage news cast thing is also trash i am not gonna read this if trash pub g players write this fortnite is better it is for skilled players not trash players

• D

Dallin SmithJun 5, 2018 at 10:50 am

The real best battle-royale game is Shrek Superslam for the Nintendo Gamecube , Microsoft Xbox, and Sony Playstation 2. Available now on Amazon for 28.99. Rated 10 and up. “It’s good”-IGN.

• B

Brandon StyveJun 4, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Finally someone said it. Great article guys.

justin storrsJun 4, 2018 at 2:01 pm

just build lol

• M

Maxwell YangJun 5, 2018 at 10:47 am

Oh heck I didn’t even think of that

JacobJun 4, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Both games are trash end of story

• D

David FosmanJun 4, 2018 at 12:17 pm

First off, the free market has already decided which game is better. Second, if PUBG is better, why did you use Fortnite as your picture? Is it maybe because you know that nobody would click if it were PUBG instead?

• M

Maxwell YangJun 5, 2018 at 10:45 am

1) First off, the free market has already decided which game is better.

Giga oof
      Also keep in mind one game is free and the other isn’t, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that one game is better than the other.

2) Second, if PUBG is better, why did you use Fortnite as your picture? Is it maybe because you know that nobody would click if it were PUBG instead?

Indeed, and also because I was too lazy to design a cover with PUBG and Fortnite in it.

• R

Robert BerarducciJun 7, 2018 at 8:06 am

I bet you that more people have spent money on skins and battle passes in Fortnite than have legit bought PubG. Fortnite > PubG in every aspect.

• G

grant hughesJun 4, 2018 at 12:15 pm

isn’t PUBG suing Fortnite because their game cant compete with it.

• M

Maxwell YangJun 5, 2018 at 10:48 am

PUBG is actually a puppet company operated by Mojang, and they’re suing Fortnite because they copied Minecraft Hunger Games.

• C

Connor BremJun 4, 2018 at 10:49 am

PuBG iS bETteR tHAn fOrTnITe

• R

RealChrisKatJun 4, 2018 at 10:38 am

You don’t even watch Ninja do you! hE was aweful at BUBG but now hes god-like in BoRtNiTe which means PoobG is the worst game ever don’t @ me #FoRtNiTeFoReVeR

• L

Liam YangJun 5, 2018 at 10:20 am

fortnite elitist REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• E

erik nelsonJun 4, 2018 at 10:34 am

take it back

• E

Elisey OvchinnikovJun 4, 2018 at 10:08 am

I disagree with your statement on hill camping as a player with poor aim would still be able to kill the player in the valley as there is no way to protect yourself. But in fortnite with enough skill, a player could build himself all the way up while protecting himself and kill the player. This requires much more skills as it adds 2 things to pay attention to, fighting and building efficiently at the same time.

• E

Evan MaxwellSep 13, 2018 at 6:28 pm

true

• M

Minh TranJun 4, 2018 at 9:16 am

2018: PUBG sue Fortnite
    2019: H1Z1 Game sue PUBG
    2020: Minecraft Hunger Game sue H1Z1
    2021: Roblox Hunger Game Sue Minecraft
    20:22: Roblox Shut Down

• E

EthanJun 4, 2018 at 9:04 am

I don’t really have an opinion on the whole Fortnite VS PUBG debate, but the fact that you said “hits-can” in the article is really bugging me more than it probably should. Most of the time, it’s just “hitscan”, and otherwise it’s “hit-scan”.

• M

Maxwell YangJun 5, 2018 at 10:15 am

I swear on my family neither Jake nor I typed “hits-can”

Jake NipperJun 5, 2018 at 10:17 am

It was originally spelled “hitscan,” but our editors decided to change it without notifying any of us or asking any clarifying questions. Gotta love it.

• N

Noe AvilaJun 4, 2018 at 8:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_X21CB
    >installs fortnite
    >plays game
    >gets rekd
    >installs pubg
    >gets shot down
    >repeats cycle

• W

Wesley EstesJun 4, 2018 at 8:32 am

What is “The eponymous Japanese movie debut in 2000 “?

• B

Brandon StyveJun 5, 2018 at 10:27 am

It’s literally called Battle Royale.

• M

Maxwell YangJun 5, 2018 at 10:42 am

e·pon·y·mous
      əˈpänəməs/Submit
      adjective
      (of a person) giving their name to something.
      “the eponymous hero of the novel”
      (of a thing) named after a particular person.
      “Roseanne’s eponymous hit TV series”

It’s a good movie. You should check it out.

• L

Liam YangJun 4, 2018 at 8:22 am

You haven’t even begun to discuss the amount of game-breaking bugs and glitches console players experience and the sheer size of hackers on North American servers. Vehicles in PUBG have been broken for console and PC players alike since release. The parachuting mechanics in PUBG are also terribly designed. Let’s also not talk about how much desync goes on in-game.

PUBG also promotes a more passive and more annoying playstyle. You see a guy behind a rock? Nothing much you can do but go for a wide peek, unless you have utility (flashbangs, incendiary/frag grenades). In Fortnite, if you see a camper, no problem. Shooting out his cover can force him to either engage you in combat or flee.

Give me one bug or glitch that Fortnite players experience. That’s a near impossible task as Epic Games (Fortnite developer) fixes them as soon as they come, and they don’t come often. Meanwhile, Bluehole (PUBG developer) insists on adding new weapon skins and catering to popular Twitch streamers by adding in-game items just for them, instead of fixing the plethora of bugs that already exist in game.

Fortnite was clearly designed for a younger audience, as evidenced by the cartoonish player models and landscape. That being said, you can’t complain about something that wasn’t targeted for your age group.

• M

Maxwell YangJun 5, 2018 at 10:41 am

1) You haven’t even begun to discuss the amount of game-breaking bugs and glitches console players experience and the sheer size of hackers on North American servers. Vehicles in PUBG have been broken for console and PC players alike since release. The parachuting mechanics in PUBG are also terribly designed. Let’s also not talk about how much desync goes on in-game.

I won’t deny that PUBG has terrible optimization at times, especially with vehicles and parachute landing as you mentioned. However, Bluehole has made it known numerous times that they are working to fix these performance issues, so hopefully this will be fixed soon. Hackers are not a problem anymore on American servers; it’s mostly been a problem on Asian servers. It’s even less prevalent when you play FPP, as all the hackers thrive on TPP where they have the unfair visual advantage.

2) PUBG also promotes a more passive and more annoying playstyle. You see a guy behind a rock? Nothing much you can do but go for a wide peek, unless you have utility (flashbangs, incendiary/frag grenades). In Fortnite, if you see a camper, no problem. Shooting out his cover can force him to either engage you in combat or flee.

That’s like, your opinion man ecKsdEe. PUBG is to fortnite as ArmA is to CoD or Battlefield when it comes to engagement and game pacing. To each their own, but we prefer the more tactical, slow-burning engagement style of PUBG compared to the run-and gun of Fortnite.

3) Give me one bug or glitch that Fortnite players experience. That’s a near impossible task as Epic Games (Fortnite developer) fixes them as soon as they come, and they don’t come often. Meanwhile, Bluehole (PUBG developer) insists on adding new weapon skins and catering to popular Twitch streamers by adding in-game items just for them, instead of fixing the plethora of bugs that already exist in game.

Read what I said earlier.

4) Fortnite was clearly designed for a younger audience, as evidenced by the cartoonish player models and landscape. That being said, you can’t complain about something that wasn’t targeted for your age group.

It’s designed to be more appropriate to a younger audience while still being approachable to more mature audiences, but it’s not necessarily designed explicitly for a certain audience while excluding others. Look at all the twenty-something streamers (Ninja) who play this game. I have as much right as they do to criticize this game. I’m not sure where this gatekeeping is coming from.

• L

Liam YangJun 5, 2018 at 1:57 pm

I don’t see anything regarding Fortnite players experiencing bugs or glitches in the article.

When you say “a large number of crates can be opened for free”, that is a straight lie. Nearly every crate that can be bought requires a key to be opened, and the chances of getting something valuable is almost nil.

“I won’t deny that PUBG has terrible optimization at times, especially with vehicles and parachute landing as you mentioned. However, Bluehole has made it known numerous times that they are working to fix these performance issues, so hopefully this will be fixed soon. ”

And these issues have existed since last year. Bluehole are prioritizing making new maps for PUBG over game-breaking bugs such as those mentioned earlier. The PUBG forums are full of complaints about the newest glitches and hacks. The hackers aren’t just in Asian servers; they’re in the Oceanic servers, the North American servers, they’re even in the European servers.

With all that being said, it’s obvious why player count has dropped from 3.2 million at its peak to 1.5 million as of today, and while Epic Games does not release statistics about Fortnite, it was estimated that 3.4 million players were active on Fortnite well before all the “Fortnite Frenzy” started.

john wikSep 18, 2018 at 12:10 pm

fortnite is the best because ninja is my favorite.

• D

Donovan BirchJun 4, 2018 at 7:30 am

make a news story on minecraft hunger games next