Columbine: The Shooting that Started it All

Columbine high school was the site for one of the deadliest mass shootings in United States history. A memorial for the victims and their families ensures that this massacre will not be forgotten.
Creative Commons photo taken by Seraphimblade on WikimediaCommons

To remember one of the first in a string of school shootings— Columbine— there was a meeting held at lunch today in the grassy area. Seniors Logan McAndrews and Frances Parrot spearheaded the meeting with the purpose of remembering the lives lost at Columbine high school 19 years ago. Along with Columbine, the victims of the Parkland, Florida shooting were also remembered for losing their lives to school violence.

Most of us are too young to remember. April 20, 1999. Jefferson, Colorado. 13 killed, 20 wounded, millions affected. Shortly after their prom, Columbine high school turned into a battlefield, blood flooded the corridors as two students opened fire inside. Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, carried guns hidden in trench coats into their library and cafeteria and killed more than 10 of their peers in less than 20 minutes. Although the original intent of the massacre was through bombs instead of guns, Harris and Klebold ended up shooting the school. It was determined that the victims of Harris and Klebold were chosen at random. Guns and ammunition were sold to the young men by a man called Mark Manes, who was sentenced to several years in prison for this crime.

McAndrews wants to commemorate the victims of Columbine and Parkland— a recent mass school shooting in Florida on February 14, 2018— and wants to remind lawmakers and politicians who they need to protect.

“Our government, rather than making reforms, is making the shootings about political parties  and forgetting the real victims. Us. The students. That’s what these marches, walkouts and days of action are for, to remind our lawmakers that we are the victims and we are done accepting thoughts prayers we want action.” McAndrews said.

Andrew CovielloApr 23, 2018 at 11:31 am

We live in a society

Andrew CovielloApr 24, 2018 at 10:22 am

Guys please I asked you to delete this one

Andrew CovielloApr 23, 2018 at 10:19 am

It’s funny. When I read things like this, I become desensitized, as if I’m used to it. It was only twenty years ago… That says a lot about our society.